Stamped VIN location on '51 Hornet?

Hello guys, 

I have recently bought a very original '51 Hornet from California and am getting this in driveable condition in the coming weeks. To get it registered in my country (The Netherlands) the car should have a stamped VIN somewhere on the body or frame. Unfortunately, the VIN plate on the doorpost is not enough. Now I know a lot of older American cars did not have stamped VINs, but maybe Hudson did do this. Before checking every single square inch of my car, can someone tell me if there is a stamped VIN and if so, where is it?

This would help a lot in the process of getting it registered, otherwise the local authorities will have to check if the car isn't reported stolen, wrecked, or the VIN duplicated or altered in any way. I will have to prove the VIN on the plate is the original VIN of the car. After this the VIN will be stamped somewhere on the body or frame.

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Reinoud Valk
Rotterdam, the Netherlands

Comments

• 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    hurry up and get a stamping set and a hammer...
  • ratlee2
    ratlee2 Expert Adviser
    If the original engine is in it, the VIN will also be stamped in the passenger side front of the block at the top.  This may not help you though.
  • hurry up and get a stamping set and a hammer...
    I could get myself in some serious trouble if they find out... Isn’t there any number anywhere besides the VIN plate?

ratlee2 said:
    If the original engine is in it, the VIN will also be stamped in the passenger side front of the block at the top.  This may not help you though.
    Could you be a little more specific on where the number should be? On the head or the block itself? A photo perhaps? 
  • schillaz
    schillaz Expert Adviser
    Regarding the engine serial number. Look on the passenger side of the block way up front at the very top. Its on the block stamped vertically between the manifold and the corner of the block. Hard to see you will probably have to scrape or sand some paint/rust off to see it.
  • This is my 54 coupe. Standing at the right front wheel, looking down at the top of the frame rail... under the piece of tape is the vin. I don’t know if 51 is the same... I hope this helps
  • Now that's some good info!! Thanks for the photos, guys!

Now it looks that both of you are in the middle of a restoration/built, is this something that is also visible with the engine and all parts mounted? I don't have the car near me so I can't go and have a look. 
  • The easiest way to see it, with a fully assembled car, is going to be by removing the right front wheel and inner fender...  Looking from above, on an assembled car, the strut that goes from the firewall to the frame will (I believe) be blocking your line of sight.
  • ratlee2
    ratlee2 Expert Adviser
    It would be behind the angled strut with the arrow.  Might be able to use the camera on your phone to get a picture.  I know it works when I use my phone to take video when setting the timing on my car since it is hard to get a straight on view.
  • Thanks guys, found it! Removed the front wheel and inner fender as you mentioned, easy to see. 

• Great! You will soon be legal.
  • Hey Reynoud, did it work out for you? RDW stamped my engine number in the firewall. Normally they would stamp it in the chassis but because it’s a subframe they didn’t do that. 
  • Rhodora said:
    Hey Reynoud, did it work out for you? RDW stamped my engine number in the firewall. Normally they would stamp it in the chassis but because it’s a subframe they didn’t do that. 
    Hi Rhodora, sorry for the late reply. 

Yes, the car is registered. I showed them the stamped number and there was no problem whatsoever. Right now I'm finishing up some suspension issues and the leaking fuel tank. Hope to go out for a small legal test drive soon and actually drive it next spring!