1929 Essex Super Six for sale--HELP!

The pictured Essex belonged to a gentleman in Iowa who died this past year. His widow has the car and has no idea what she should do with it and I am just assisting her in trying to find a new home for it. I have nothing vested in this and am only helping as a longtime enthusiast and a certified vintage car appraiser in Iowa.

I looked at the car today and it appears to be very solid. Sheet metal is straight and paint is surprisingly intact. Interior is original and not torn up. It was not running but appears that it will once a new battery is installed. I directed her son toward a 6 volt battery sold by NAPA that is the correct size and cranking amps, but that's as far as I have gone. The car has a clear title.

The major issue is, what should this lady do with this car? This is an 87-year-old lady who had a long and fruitful marriage, so I hope the sale of this car can be a pleasant experience. Any suggestions will be deeply appreciated and let me know if there is any other information needed. 

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    That car is an absolute gem!  Original in every detail.  Please, please, do not let it go to the hotrodders.  It is actually a 1928 model Essex coach. 
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    I agree with you, Geoff. It would be a great shame.
  • 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    Find out what she wants for it and post it here on the forum. I am sure that the people on this forum will help get the word out..
  • No one is providing an idea for a price, so let's put it at $7000. If there is a serious buyer out there, please email me with a valid email address to begin a conversation. I had an inquiry from someone on here but I wasn't able to reply via email. I know very little about this car. What I've posted is the extent of my knowledge.
  • If I was a buyer, I would value this car at 6-7000, if it was a driver. From the photos provided, I think it is too nice a car to restore. Even considering the excellent survivor condition that it is in, knowing nothing of it's history, if it is not driveable, I would assume the engine would need rebuilt, and the brakes need done. I'm sure an engine rebuild would be north of five thousand, and a brake job will be 300, if the bearings and drums are still serviceable. If the tires are old, they will need replaced, along with tubes and flaps. I doubt that would be less than 1000. Then there are shipping costs to get it home (wherever that may be). With that in mind as a buyer, I would value this vehicle at around 3000, and hope to heck it doesn't need all that work. I hope that doesn't sound harsh, because I didn't intend it that way. I'm only sharing my thoughts, and how I approach buying a non running/driving vehicle. If I was looking for a candidate to do a full restoration on, I would probably keep looking... I think this one needs to be preserved.

respectfully submitted.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited June 2020
    I hope you have sent an ad for this car to the WTN.  That way, it will reach a target audience of Hudson owners, not just this online forum.  And, if done through a Hudson club member, there would be no cost.  The next deadline is August 1, for the issue that comes out (I think) in October.
  • tombia
    tombia Member
    54coupe said:
    If I was a buyer, I would value this car at 6-7000, if it was a driver. From the photos provided, I think it is too nice a car to restore. Even considering the excellent survivor condition that it is in, knowing nothing of it's history, if it is not driveable, I would assume the engine would need rebuilt, and the brakes need done. I'm sure an engine rebuild would be north of five thousand, and a brake job will be 300, if the bearings and drums are still serviceable. If the tires are old, they will need replaced, along with tubes and flaps. I doubt that would be less than 1000. Then there are shipping costs to get it home (wherever that may be). With that in mind as a buyer, I would value this vehicle at around 3000, and hope to heck it doesn't need all that work. I hope that doesn't sound harsh, because I didn't intend it that way. I'm only sharing my thoughts, and how I approach buying a non running/driving vehicle. If I was looking for a candidate to do a full restoration on, I would probably keep looking... I think this one needs to be preserved.

respectfully submitted.
    And you have to remember that there is a very small market for these cars, The market place has many, many cars in the teens and twenties for sale.
  • Have you sold it?
  • Second try, is it available?
  • Has the car sold?  Also, did it run?  I currently have a 31 Essex 4dr sedan.  Love the car.  
  • OMG.... i paid 15000 yes fifteen thousand for mine and
    came with the original drivetrain ,that i have in storage