52 Hornet twin H Cooling issue

Does anyone know if there is a generic 5 blade fan made by some other auto company, that would fit on my Hornet?  I have rebuilt the rad, reset the timing, flushed the engine, built a shroud, checked the hoses, etc, etc, but the car still tends to heat up if idling for long, or if not moving through traffic.  Have also changed the thermostat and even checked the heat gage for accuracy, so would like to try a 5 blade fan.  

Comments

• 54coupe
    54coupe Member
    I use a generic flex fan found in the chain type auto parts stores. I think it is a 6 blade. It may need a small spacer to move it forward so it doesn't rub the lower radiator hose. Anyone who sells the fan should have this as well. I think the spacer i used was 3/4" thick.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Hello kj;  Obviously you are focused on the correct actions to make your car run cooler.  There are several Jeep and AMC fans that can be used with a Hudson water pump.   I have used both the fixed blade and flex blade fans from Speedway with success on my Hudsons.  In addition to the fan, the water pump is a key factor in assuring your engine is properly cooled.   Over decades the core pumps rebuilt to service Hudsons were at times NOT rebuilt to the standard needed to assure proper water flow.  Dale Cooper a Hudson parts vendor is aware of this and had NEW castings and rotating assemblies manufactured to create an entirely new Hudson water pump.   Finally the PDF document referenced in the following URL is focused on correcting the overheating issues of a Hudson big block engine.  

https://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/Hudson%20Cooling%20Suggestions.pdf

good luck

Ken Cates Waco Texas
  • Thanks fellas.  I did have the water pump rebuilt, but maybe not to the specs required?  In any event, I have got a 6 flex blade fan on order, so am keeping my fingers crossed that this will help.  Sure appreciate the input guys, as I live in a rural part of Canada, and there are not a lot of Hudson's here.  ken
  • Going from original Hudson fan to modern flex fan will drop you probably 20 degrees . You will find the bolt pattern is pretty much standard only problem is some sort of spacer will be needed to get close enough to the radiator.
  • Well I finally got the flex fan. So I took off the shroud, and then the original 4 blade fan.  But when I went to install the flex fan, I definitely needed a spacer, which I also got.  But try as I might, the amount of space that was needed to clear the bottom rad hose, placed the fan far too close to the rad --- the blades would definitely hit it, once they began to flex.   The box instructions mention that the rad should be at least 1" away from the closest part of the blade, but the spacer put it only 1/8th of an inch away (if I wanted to clear the bottom rad hose).  Of course the options would be to either make a different arrangement for the bottom rad hose connection, or alternatively.... move the rad back and closer to the grill (which would be a chunk of work).  So after taking the new fan off, and putting the old one back, some one suggested that maybe I should try to get a 6 volt 'pusher' fan, to put in front of the rad, perhaps on a toggle switch under the dash??  Seems to me that there is lots of room to work with behind the grill (in front of the rad), more so than behind the rad itself.  One of the HET fellows (Chuck), also suggested my reading an article about placing a plug in the thermostat bypass, so that more water flow is achieved.  Certainly worth considering, but I cannot seem to find that article anywhere.  He suggested googling 1948-54 Hudson Restoration (which I did), and I did find tons of sites pertaining to Hudson restorations, but not the article he mentioned.  If any one knows of it, or of this suggestion, could you help enlighten me?  Please and thanks!    K.J. (up here in Canada)
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited June 2020
    Use this URL and select cooling.  The PDF is at the top of the cooling page. The lower hose should have a metal insert between two pieces of hose that will space the hose properly to clear the fan. This is my webpage, 
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor

The best way for a complete fix is to pull the radiator and have it recored with an additional core.  Wildrick does these....

• Courtesy Man
    Courtesy Man Expert Adviser
    When I had my 1947 H PU truck with 56 Hornet engine I put in a flex fan and bought a spacer - I cut the spacer down to required thickness in my lathe. For me that fixed the problem - before once the engine would shut off the overflow would puke about a quart of coolant out. The radiator was too small capacity, but held coolant and ran cool after that. Had an aftermarket gage set with temp, oil press, and amps. For my Studebaker friends I did the same thing - cut down the spacer to space the flex fan correctly.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Glowplug said:
    Use this URL and select cooling.  The PDF is at the top of the cooling page. The lower hose should have a metal insert between two pieces of hose that will space the hose properly to clear the fan. This is my webpage, 
    I failed in my attempt to add the URL for my webpage... it is: https://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/

On the left side of the page Select COOLING .. it will take you to the proper page... SUGGESTIONS FOR IMPROVING YOUR ENGINE COOLING  

This page considers many of the actions one might take/examine when trying to isolate a cooling problem with a Hudson engine.

Good Luck
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    Ken's restoration Cooling Tips Page should help cure your problem. I don't think an electric Pusher fan in front of radiator is necessary unless maybe you have A/C.
  • dave11
    dave11 Expert Adviser
    May want to check the head gasket, I had the exact issues with my 52 Hornet 308. After installing a 6 blade fan, having the radiator re cored, replacing the thermostat, checking the cooling distribution tube in the block, ect the engine still overheated when idling. After installing a BEST brand head gasket, the problem is gone. It now never over heats.
  • Max162
    Max162 Member
    edited October 2020
    Well I finally got the flex fan. So I took off the shroud, and then the original 4 blade fan.  But when I went to install the flex fan, I definitely needed a spacer, which I also got.  But try as I might, the amount of space that was needed to clear the bottom rad hose, placed the fan far too close to the rad --- the blades would definitely hit it, once they began to flex.   The box instructions mention that the rad should be at least 1" away from the closest part of the blade, but the spacer put it only 1/8th of an inch away (if I wanted to clear the bottom rad hose).  Of course the options would be to either make a different arrangement for the bottom rad hose connection, or alternatively.... move the rad back and closer to the grill (which would be a chunk of work).  So after taking the new fan off, and putting the old one back, some one suggested that maybe I should try to get a 6 volt 'pusher' fan, to put in front of the rad, perhaps on a toggle switch under the dash??  Seems to me that there is lots of room to work with behind the grill (in front of the rad), more so than behind the rad itself.  One of the HET fellows (Chuck), also suggested my reading an article about placing a plug in the thermostat bypass, so that more water flow is achieved.  Certainly worth considering, but I cannot seem to find that article anywhere.  He suggested googling 1948-54 Hudson Restoration (which I did), and I did find tons of sites pertaining to Hudson restorations, but not the article he mentioned.  If any one knows of it, or of this suggestion, could you help enlighten me?  Please and thanks!    K.J. (up here in Canada)
    I'm also in the look for a better mechanical fan since mine had decided to suddenly bend toward the radiator's inside core while driving my car on the highway, destroying it. While the radiator is being fixed, I also changed the old fan for a six blade one that I have, but I fear that it will be touching the radiator once put back on the car.

does anyone has a pick on a  six blade fan can can be a nice fit on a 1954 Super Wasp  with the original radiator inside? I remembered trying to find one in the past, but without luck.