seeking correct LED headlight bulbs for 1937 Hudson Terraplane

I have tried several suppliers, but have not found the correct bulbs for my headlights yet. Suppliers based in USA are preferred. Thanks!

Comments

• dholck
    dholck Expert Adviser
    I don't know who has what, exactly.  This outfit lists 33/34 Hudson.
    http://www.logolites.com/products/led-headlights/

These guys are in Australia, but seem to have a lot of stuff.
    http://www.classicandvintagebulbs.com/

They have a handy page that lets you figure out what bulb base you need;
    http://www.classicandvintagebulbs.com/page12.html

• bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    I don't know the ins and outs of it but Classic and Vintage Bulbs claim that not all LED headlight bulbs are created equal, be careful what you buy. From their webpage you need 'ante dazzle LEDS for low beam'. C&VB does seem to know his stuff, he's been doing this for 20 years or so.
  • Not familiar with socket on the '37; but here are the bulbs that Franklin owners are using sucessfully.
    >>> https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-6V-LED-Headlight-Conversion-Bulb,381770.html
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited May 2020

This is an example of an LED headlight lamp with the "prefocus" base (which is used by many cars of the 1930's including Hudsons.  These particular LED's are made by Classic Dynamo & Regulator Conversions, of England.  They are now in my '37 Terraplane.

I also have taillights, license plates lights and instrument lights, all by the same company.

I'm under the impression that LED headlights for "our" cars are being made by several companies.  Since Classic Dynamo is in England, it does involve somewhat more expensive shipping, but if you're ordering a "full course" of LED lights (taillights, license plate lights, dash lights, headlights), all at one time, the shipping isn't that bad.

But of course, if there's a company in the U.S. making LED's, then our American Hudson owners might find shipping a bit less pricey.
  • Toddh
    Toddh Member
    If your headlights have not been converted to sealed beams, you need an LED version of: 6V dual contact bulb (high/low beam) with an APF (American pre-focus) base.  

I got the headlight bulbs for my ‘34 Terraplane from Classic Dynamo &Regulator Conversions in the UK. (Www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com).  Look for the online shop for LED bulbs.  You want the “P30d” double dipper bulbs
  • Thanks, guys!!! Great advice.! I will check this vendor out.
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor

John,

Check Little British Car Co for LED bulbs too.Their in Michigan. 800 637 9640 and have large Web Site. I have their12V in my '37 headlight original sockets but they have 6V too. Be sure to install Relays so get Full Voltage 

• Sure don't think I would go overseas to get bulbs with high prices, shipping, return doubtful, when they are available in the USA. ...my 2¢ 
  • bob ward
    I'm fitting 12V LED headlight bulbs from Classic & Vintage Bulbs to prefocus 36 headlights at the moment.

The original bulb fitting is replaced by a short aluminium tube.

The bulb itself, comes with a big finned heat sink. It pushes into the aluminium tube and is gripped on the 2 o-rings, that allows the bulb to be tweaked to get the beam right.

The black lump on the lead is an LED driver (whatever that is) and will live in the headlight bucket, the 3 wires (high beam, low beam and earth) go off to the wiring harness.

• Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser
    Bob I'm really interested in this I am about to do something similar with my 35 coupe.  Do the alloy tubes come with the bulbs do you have a number for ordering.  Thanks Trevor
  • bob ward
    The aluminium tubes come in the box, the flanges are drilled and tapped to suit the holes already in the base of the reflector.
    C&VB refer to this set up as American Pre-Focus (AFP), your bulb holders should look like the removed holder in my first photo.
    I've learned that the LED driver contains all the electronics, they are separate from the LEDs to keep temperatures down.
  • tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    The above seems like a lot of fuss when there are “plug and play” bulbs out there like Job B has shown.
    regards, Tom
  • hudsonsplasher1
    hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
    Jon B said:

This is an example of an LED headlight lamp with the "prefocus" base (which is used by many cars of the 1930's including Hudsons.  These particular LED's are made by Classic Dynamo & Regulator Conversions, of England.  They are now in my '37 Terraplane.

I also have taillights, license plates lights and instrument lights, all by the same company.

I'm under the impression that LED headlights for "our" cars are being made by several companies.  Since Classic Dynamo is in England, it does involve somewhat more expensive shipping, but if you're ordering a "full course" of LED lights (taillights, license plate lights, dash lights, headlights), all at one time, the shipping isn't that bad.

But of course, if there's a company in the U.S. making LED's, then our American Hudson owners might find shipping a bit less pricey.
    Jon B. thinks for the info. Do you have the part information for the lights on your 37. I plan to do the same with my 37. Head lights, tail lights and license plate.
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    edited December 2020
    If anyone took photos of the differences in brightness I’d love to see those!

Anyone try these bulbs?
    https://www.ledlight.com/led-headlight-6v-p15d-prefocus-52-smd-60-cp-dual-hi-lo-beam.aspx
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited December 2020

Here's what I ordered from Classic Dynamo & Regulator in the U.K.  All prices are per lamp, expressed in British pounds.  All used in my 6-volt positive ground car.

Item 1: Quantity 2, #DE1B,  6V 21/5W POS EARTH, BA15D base, red diffused.  Turn signal / tail lights / brake lights (dual "filament").  @ £7.50  (Red lamp should always be used behind red lens.)

Item 2:  Quantity 2, #FE2A,  P30d American Prefocus base, Positive earth, double dipper bulb  (Headlights) -- @ £27.50

Item 3:  Quantity 3, #AB1A,  6V POS 21w White, BA15s base  - Diffused -- license & fender lights. @£7.50

Item 4:  Quantity 2, #CE2B , Ba9s base, 6/12v  diffused.  Dash lights  @£3.50

Item 5:  Quantity 1, LED compatible flasher, 6v positive earth.  You can't use the old style thermal flashers with LED's --   @£11.00

Shipping was £20 from Lincolnshire UK to Virginia USA.

Total was £130.50 on March 5, 2019.  Exchange rate = 1£ = 1.3177$, so $171.96 was cost in U.S.D. 

I suggest you inquire of those who have purchased LED headlights, their opinions of the high versus low beams.  My high beam doesn't seem to "project" any further ahead on the road, it only seems to spread the light into a wider radius.  I get to see the undersides of low-hanging trees.  Not sure whether that is the nature of LED's versus incandescent and halogen lights.

I was advised by the owner of Classic Dynamo that one should not mix LED and non-LED bulbs on the same circuits, although I did end up using incandescent bulbs for my front turn signals and LED's for the rear (so, on the same circuit).  No ill effects.

One last note regarding the American prefocus headlight bases (the flange with 3 holes).  In the 1930's there seems to have been 2 versions sold, with the dual electrical contacts rotated 90 degrees from one version to another.  That's a BIG problem if your socket's contacts are rotated in relation to the bulb's contacts.  Whenever you order headlight bulbs, always send a sketch of the underside of the base, showing the flange with the three holes, and the "notch" in the flange, and the two contacts in their exact relationship to the holes and contacts.

• hudsonsplasher1
    hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
    Thanks Jon.