Heater help

Hi everybody!  I need some advice regarding the heater motor from my '51 Pacemaker.  I took the housing to be powder coated, and while it's gone I decided to open the motor to see if I could replace the old steel wiring.  I have two problems: The set screw that holds the fan assembly to the motor is rusted tight.  There is not enough space to fit a pair of pliers and apply any torque, and despite several applications of WD40 I can't turn the screw.  The second problem is that I tried to loosen the two nuts that hold the motor together from the bottom.  While turning the first nut I heard a "snap" and I assume the bolt broke, but I can't pull it out.
  I'm afraid I'm in over my head.  Is there anyone that works on these or should I look for a replacement?

Thanks!

Comments

• onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Lance to the white courtesy phone please!
  • ken1962
    ken1962 Member
    Get some plastersence and form a well around the screw. Wd40 will not work. It's a lubricant only. Use penetranting oil spray instead. Fill the well with it and it should work into the joint after a day or too. 
  • Lance
    Lance Member
    LOL  Thanks John.  I have the fans, motors and parts for these. Let me know if  you need anything. The set screws are a real joy so when I replace them I usually use allen head set screws. Sometimes a little bit of hotwrench will cure the problem.