Oil Recommendation for '52 308

devin
devin Member
Greetings, Can anyone recommend the appropriate weight and brand of choice for the crankcase as well as the auto tranny?
Thank you.

Comments

• railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    edited May 2020
    I used PennGrade partial synthetic 10W-40 in my '53 Super Wasp's 262 crankcase.  It has higher zinc levels for older engines.
  • devin
    devin Member
    Thank you Railknight
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    Valvoline VR1 "Racing Oil" (formulated for racing engines, but can be used in passenger cars) is another oil to consider for its high zinc content though I believe it has no synthetic oil qualities.  It comes in numerous weights.  

Also, Valvoline VR1 is more readily available at auto parts stores versus PennGrade that usually has to be purchased on-line or from places that sell high performance engine products.  I purchase a case of PennGrade synthetic every other year at the bi-annual vintage car swap meet at Jefferson, WI.   
  • 5 40 diesel oil it has paraffine in it
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    I am thinking of switching to this new Amsoil for my next change.  I have been using Rotella 10W-40 for a number of years but they have cut back on the zinc.

https://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/classic-and-vintage/motor-oil/articles/z-rod-keeps-vehicles-street-ready/
  • devin
    devin Member
    And for the auto tranny?
  • Regular Dexron for the Hydro. 
  • devin
    devin Member
    thanks cheyenne!

• devin
    devin Member
    Thank you Ken! my apologies fo hastily posting this inquiry in the wrong category.