Weather control nameplate

Does anyone reproduce these?

Comments

• 2manyprojects
    2manyprojects Expert Adviser
    call el paso  electro plating they did my old one came back like new. you can send them a pic of yours and they will give you a quote. they are very reasonable with a high quality result
  • How to you remove these?  Does the whole box need to come down?
  • Here is one that was posted on a website that impressed me (I have yet to do mine yet). Yes, it was painted---cheap compared to plating and looks real good.

• Were the weather control boxes originally gloss black?  Repainting mine this week
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited January 2022
    If they were black, wouldn't Dupli-Color Semi Gloss black look better. EXCELLENT quality. Then it wouldn't shine so much. I use that excessively on all my old cars. Especially under hood. Try it, might agree ~~~
    This is it but can find anywhere:
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/shw-de1634?rrec=true
  • ratwasp said:
    Were the weather control boxes originally gloss black?  Repainting mine this week
    They were painted a semi gloss black from 1951-54 using a lacquer. Prior to 1951 they were painted a greenish gray. A bit like a light shade of OD green.   The center nameplate background in 1950 was red and after 51 the background was black.
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited January 2022
    CORRECTION ON PAINT ABOVE [SATIN IS NOT SEMI-GLOSS !] 1635 NOT 1634 !
    THIS IS SEMI-GLOSS (not same number):
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/shw-de1635?seid=srese1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAosmPBhCPARIsAHOen-NKlusP9KrWFH0EU1yZWQSqVBWi8PuGhkDSeY6PCGXeAoT3EX9LAa4aAiQYEALw_wcB
  • Well Richard , the Rustolem paint I used is semi gloss and it worked very well. 
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited January 2022
    You and I are saying the same thing, Lance. I am saying Semi-gloss is what's suggested, but the number I had above, #1634, was incorrect and that #1635 is the correct Dupli-color number if that brand is what you want to use; and that 'Satin' is not 'Semi-gloss'
    My problem with Rust-Oleum is that a person CANNOT use a snap-in sprayer that controls the can like a spray gun because their built-in valve is too large and it will not fit....{believe
    one is being made that clamps around the outside-but I don't have}.

• ratwasp
    ratwasp Member
    edited January 2022
    Thanks guys, I’m going semi-gloss!  Polished up my nameplate with Nevr-dull and chrome polish, it looks decent enough for me 👍🏻

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    👍🏻❗️👍🏻
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited January 2022
    Maybe looks good to some but not to me (sorry). Seems like it would look better to use high-build primer, sand, and then paint with Chrome paint; then use artist brushes to paint the other colors; then lightly fog with clear enamel. But, again: do what you want to, it is yours; not mine nor anyone else's !
    Those chrome pits just don't look good !

• If it’s not a concourse car then it’s no worry I would have, it’s one of those under the dash things anywho . If someone’s looking that close at your heater badge than you’ve got other problems haha. I’ve never seen a heater badge with any other color other than black . I personally think the painted on looks cheap and chincy, makes it look in my opinion like a child got ahold of it just sayin.
    also it’s your car so do with it how you wish .