Hudson Brake Hose to Wheel Cylinders

BigSky
BigSky Senior Contributor
I was advised the Wagner WC9337 & WC9336 front wheel cylinders would fit the original hoses on my 1937 Hudson, but they do not.  Thus I need some help to see if there are options to my problem.  

It looks like the new wheel cylinders are 7/16-24 & my hose is 7/16-20, but I’m guessing here.  Does anyone have a good way to check that?   I searched but see no adapter available & thus I may have to get custom made hoses to resolve the issue.  Outside of that any suggestions?

Comments

• bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    edited May 2020
    To find out what threads you have you need a set of thread gauges, always useful when messing around with old cars.
    A new custom made hose with the fittings you require will cost around $30, provide the brake shop your old hose and new wheel cylinder so they know exactly what they are dealing with.
    PS when you say original hoses do you mean original as in maybe 83 years old? (smiley face)

• BigSky
    I’ll take a look & see what I’ve got...
  • BigSky
    That’s what I was coming up with 7/16-24 threads on the replacement wheel cylinders (WC9336 & 9337).  With a stock hose end of 7/16-20 ideally an adapter would be the easiest fix but I haven’t found that to be an option.  Next would be to have some custom hoses made to fit what I have already in place.  Finally would be to replace the wheel cylinders which isn’t my ideal route but it maybe one I have to take.  Unfortunately I can’t use the wheel cylinders on the ford rear end I have in the car.  

I sincerely appreciate all your help figuring this out & now comes the decision.
  • BigSky
    Will do, Thanks Ken!
  • BigSky
    I don’t recall, probably an internet search of some kind.  I usually try to search for an answer before I post a question that’s been asked a whole bunch of times. 
  • BigSky
    What part numbers are they?  Maybe I can locate them locally.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I bought the WC9336 and WC9337 and hose #4900 (United), 2-3 years ago and they fit my Terraplane fine.  However, I had replaced my front drums and backing plate with those from a Commodore (I think it was a Pre-StepDown) some years ago.  Not sure how that would cause a mis-fit though.  BigSky, where was the problem: was it in actually attaching the wheel cylinder, or did the hose not fit the cylinder?
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    These are 7/16"-24 male x 3/8"-24 female brake line adapters, presumably other varieties exist.

• Why bother with a bunch of fittings and adaptors that could leak . Ken U said he has the correct wheel cylinders and hoses.
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    The question was asked re wheel cylinders and some debate was entered into.

I'm closing this discussion down now because it seems to becoming more personal as opposed to answering a simply put question