46 Pickup Stake Pockets

I need to do some metal repair on my pickup bed, and the two rear stake pockets are in pretty rough shape. My thought was to remove the stake pockets, repair the bed and weld new stake pockets on. I see a lot of stake pockets available for various classic trucks. Does anyone know which ones would be the closest to the originals? Or has anyone been down this road before and have any advice?

Thanks!

-Lance

Comments

• 40indianssgmailcom
    40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
    I do not have stake pockets any more.  When I shortened the bed I removed about 5" more or less from each end of the bed.  The front panel was junk and the tailgate and panel below were also.  In addition I wanted a short wheelbase look to the truck more in proportion to the earlier Hudson pickups.  The bed rails look a lot cleaner without the stake pockets.  Just my opinion
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited May 2020
    Shorten  a good Idea. I shortened the bed on one in the '60's to put a Boom closer to the rear axle to lift my racer when ever I tore up the front end.. I regret not shortening the one I restored now since the long bed is a little out of propotion like you mentioned, however they were designed to haul a heavy 3/4 ton of coal, wood etc. Don't bother with pockets..
  • Thanks for the advice. I’ll definitely take it into account. Do either of you have photos of your shortened trucks without pockets? 

That feels a little advanced for my abilities but then again everything I’m learning with this truck is and it has been going well. I figured getting stake pockets that are already fabricated would be the most straightforward path to repair the damage I have. I’ll post some photos later. 

-Lance
  • 40indianssgmailcom

• 40indianssgmailcom
    The other part of this is shortening the frame to accommodate removing the 5-6" at the front of the bed.  All in all it is a bit of work to accomplish.  The wheels are for rolling around only
  • I really like that. The shortening is very subtle but looks really good!

i see what you mean by no pockets now. I’m calling the stake pockets the entire metal sleeve/braces up and down the front and rear of the bed where the pockets would open up to. I need to replace or repair the ones in the rear and that is what I was hoping to find close to original replacements for since I don’t think I have the tools or ability to make them from scratch. 

Here are mine, in pretty bad shape with a hack for a tailgate hinge welded on. I’ll need to repair all of that and the pockets. Some of the dings on the beads along the sides are what I don’t think I can repair so replacing seemed a better approach. 

• 40indianssgmailcom
    If you notice the front of the box at the bottom of the 'pocket' I made a piece to continue the pocket on the bottom bed extension as it looks more finished.  I made those with 16ga sheet metal for the sides and the curved surface.  The 'bead' at each edge was a piece of 5/16" brake line because it was easily curved.  You could do the back of your pockets in a similar fashion after removing the damaged section. The correct diameter solid steel rod might make for a more substantial part considering it helps to support the tailgate hinges.
  • Never thought about that approach! Thanks for the insight! I’ll start experimenting with making a repair panel for it.