1937 t convertable soft top as well as hoodbrackets

I am looking for a 1937 terraplane convertable top or template of one as well as the hoodbrackets (latches) Also the carrot mascot please.

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I've tried several ready-made top manufacturers over the years and haven't found anyone with a pattern.  I'm probably going to have one made from scratch by a top installer.  When you look for one, don't forget to specify whether it is the convertible coupe, or the convertible brougham.  They are different.
  • Carrot is available here: http://partsbyemc.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&sort=20a&page=2

I have a 38 Super Terraplane Convertible and recently had my soft top redone. It cost me around $1600 for the top plus I had the rear window surround frame re-chromed, which was around $300. The windows complete are available for Packard from Kanter.com (very similar) and I think they cost around $350 if I remember correctly. 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I am guessing that you must have had that top made outside the U.S., for I have been quoted a much higher price for a new top.   Did the installer order a ready-made canvas top from someone, and then install it himself?  Or did he fabricate the canvas top completely, by himself?

If the canvas top is available as a ready-made top, I would love to know where to purchase one!

Some things puzzle me about the top, though.

Does the rear window curtain (with glass window) un-zip and swing down, thus giving you more visibility out the back on days when it is not raining?

The canvas flap above the door windows, seems to sit outside of the door window.  Mine is recessed and sits behind the window, between the window and the steel top framework, acting as a wind and rain seal.  It was made that way on the car's previous top, so I am guessing it was designed that way at the Hudson factory.

I'm happy to hear you got such a bargain!
  • The top was made by a gent in Mesa Arizona from scratch -it took him four days. I have his contact info if anyone is interested. Window does not unzip. I had an old top, but he said he does not need one to make a top and can work off of pictures or even just the frame if need be. As far as price, another local company quoted me around $2800 for the same job but the guy that does it works from home and acknowledged that his overheads are lower. 

• Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser

• Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser
    A couple of pictures of my 38 has rear quarter see through and bigger rear windo
  • Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser
    The carrots are available from I think it Elsihmans and of good quality
  • Trevor beautiful car. Is yours a brougham model or convertible coupe? 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited March 2020
    Would be a brougham.  Cockpit runs all the way back to the trunk (oops, 'boot") lid, with a full rear seat, and has a rear quarter window (unlike the coupes).
  • Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser
    Interesting.  To be honest I did not know the difference until Jon pointed it out. Just goes to show there is always something new to learn.