Terraplane front hub grease seals

5433HET
5433HET Expert Adviser
I've looked in the original 1932 parts book for my Terraplane but I see no reference for a front wheel grease seal..and when I disassembled the front drum bearing and races there were NO seals to be found! Anyone have a clue or a modern interchange? At this point I know 32-33 Terraplane uses the same front hub and bearings so the grease seals should also be the same.  Thanks! 

Comments

• Toddh
    Toddh Member

• Toddh
    Toddh Member
    Did you look under “Front Axle”?
  • 5433HET
    5433HET Expert Adviser
    Yes, they only list a grease deflector not a grease retainer. 
  • Toddh
    Toddh Member
    That’s it.  Thats all ya got.  
  • 5433HET
    5433HET Expert Adviser
    Here is all I have 
  • 35 Terraplane
    35 Terraplane Senior Contributor
    Scott,   The attached 1932-33 Terraplane front axle drawing does not show a seal. A3-9, spindle washer, appears to pilot on the brake drum. Looked at front wheel bearing, didn't see a seal there or in the section on wheel hubs and drums. 
  • 5433HET
    5433HET Expert Adviser
    Thats what I was thinking, because no typical wheel grease seals were in place when I disassembled the hubs. 
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    FYI only. 1924 era Hudsons had a piece of felt between 2 flat washers for a gease/dirt seal. So you are probably one step better than my car.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I have had my  Essex for 64 years, and never had an issue with grease leaking past the felt seals inn the front hub.
  • 5433HET
    5433HET Expert Adviser
    The spindle washer is just metal, no felt.
  • 35 Terraplane
    35 Terraplane Senior Contributor
    32-33 Hudson Essex axle drawing shows A3-10, Spindle grease washer & retainer ass'y.  
    Also has callouts for A3-11, -12 & -13.  In the specifications column next to these is has "Part of 65403 assembly" which is the part number for A3-10.  I'm guessing that A3-13, spindle grease washer is the felt washer sandwiched between A3-11 & A3-12.  
  • 5433HET
    5433HET Expert Adviser
    Applications are odd. 32 Essex is definitely the old (pre Terraplane)Essex that continued into 33 as a Hudson
     It would specify "Terr" to fit my 32. At least that's my understanding. 
  • 5433HET
    5433HET Expert Adviser
    Thanks for those measurements Ken U-Tx, my locally owned parts store (Kings Auto) had National 710768 seals which did the job!
    It still baffles me why the seals were missing!
  • 5433HET
    5433HET Expert Adviser
    Those National 6507 seals are obsolete.  Found a set of replacements on ebay.