6 Volt Coil

kamzack
kamzack Senior Contributor

6 volt coils in My 50 Commodore 8, don't seem to last very long. After a bit spark weakens until not enough to fire engine. Is there hotter coil or way to make this one have stronger spark?  Points setting make a difference?

Thanks in advance,

Kim

Comments

• Kamzack; Pertronix claims to have a hooter coil. But I don't know if you can run it with points. I have a feeling its made to go with their ignition systems. If you don't mind going electronic ignition on your car it may be an option.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    This is a question that one cannot answer simply.   Voltage at coil, resistance across switch, dirty connections, dwell of points, contact area of points????  etc. etc.
  • kamzack
    Thank you
  • On my 51 commodore 8 it is very difficult to get at the distributor. I put a Pertronix 6volt positive ground unit with the coil they recommend. And it has been working fine. You have to replace the plug wires. You can’t use the solid core wires with electronics. Speedway has the 7mm wire sets.
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor

On my most recent build (54) I went with the electronic ignition.  I am really pleased with it.

• kamzack

Thank you. Do you have a part number for the set you bought from Pertronix? I looked at them last night and didn't see a 6 volt positive grnd 8 cyl. That may solve my problem. I also looked at Flame Thrower, opinion on that one?

Again thanks,

Kim

• I have the part #’s at Home in MA., but I’m in FL till end of March. I found it on eBay, but it was being sold by Pertronix.
  • 35 Terraplane
    35 Terraplane Senior Contributor
    Is there a method of testing a coil other than testing ohms across the primary & secondary circuits of the coil?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Turn the ignition on, and ensure the points are closed.   Remove the centre high tension wire form the distributor cap, and hold it about half an inch away from ground anywhere.  Flick the  distributor points  open and you should have a good fat spark jump to ground from the end of the wire.  These old cars work best with copper core  wires, not carbon. 
  • 35 Terraplane
    35 Terraplane Senior Contributor
    Thanks Geoff
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    You don't want copper core wires with pertronix or any electronic ignition.