1953 air shocks

2manyprojects
2manyprojects Expert Adviser
my 53 hollywood rear springs are sagging.instead of all the time money and labor to get them re-arched i am looking for a part number for air shocks. other people have said even after a re-arc they will settle back to where they were in the first place. thanks just looking to get the car level again.

Comments

• RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited February 2019
    Have had air shocks on my '53 for a long time. Monroe # MA727 ;Advance Auto was:$70/pr.
    you can call Monroe if you like 734-384-7809. have valve below rear bumper to add air.

• another view

• 2manyprojects
    2manyprojects Expert Adviser
    thank you
  • Hi Richard, Thank you for taking the time for all your great posts and pictures. Has been very helpful to me.
    If you have pic of your dual exhaust system would love to see them.
  • Richard, Is MA727 a complete change over shock with no modifications needed except for the air connection? Thanks, Fred
  • As far as I know Fred. Call the number.
  • Exhaust photos as requested>>
    https://goo.gl/photos/S9PG2unDdRhuKpPd8
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    Can't say I know much about air shocks used on vehicles. Do you have to add air on occasion to maintain the pressure in the shocks much like car tires?
  • 48Sed
    48Sed Senior Contributor
    It's a good practice to check the air pressure every once in a while as they can leak down.I know I have to add to my shocks even after checking and finding no leaks.
  • RichardD said:
    Have had air shocks on my '53 for a long time. Monroe # MA727 ;Advance Auto was:$70/pr. you can call Monroe if you like 734-384-7809. have valve below rear bumper to add air.
    Wonder how this length would work on a lowered stepdown (with blocks)
  • My 1951 Hornet has 2" lowering blocks and I use these same air shocks. I took the kit to fill each shock individually.