Jag IFS in my Hudson

Comments

• Looking from the front, you can see that the rail is not straight yet. I cut it where I did, because forward and rearward of the cut, the frame tapers down, and is not 4" tall like my replacement rail. I will be straightening these portions of the rail.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    After all that work and modification, what are the actual benefits?
  • 12" vented rotor disc brakes with four piston calipers, power rack and pinion steering, and only 2-1/2 turns lock to lock, and better availability of parts while traveling.
  • Quick update. One side has it’s new outer frame rail. A 12” section was put in, with an 18” long fish plate welded on the inside.
  • I still need to finish the plug welds, and I will be closing the openings on the top and bottom of the frame.
  • Driver’s side cut out, and rectangle tubing cut and fitted.I will make the fish plate, get everything drilled and welded over the next few days.
  • It fits now!
  • bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    :) Looks really good! 
  • :) Looks really good! 
    Thank you, bent metal, I was beginning to think nobody was looking at this any more, and I was wasting my time posting pictures.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Geoff said:
    I once got to spend a few highway hours behind the wheel of a step-down with the Jag IFS. It was like driving a modern car, far more relaxing than driving a well maintained original. 

• bob ward said:
    Geoff said:
    I once got to spend a few highway hours behind the wheel of a step-down with the Jag IFS. It was like driving a modern car, far more relaxing than driving a well maintained original. 

That’s great to hear, Bob. The plan is for this to be my daily driver.
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
    That is why I put the xj6 ifs and irs in my 47 pickup in addition to the 4.2 liter dohc jag 6 cylinder with dual carbs and a turbo 350 trans.  I am hoping it rides and drives like a jag sedan
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Pardon my being a curmudgeon, but why not just drive a Jag?
  • Geoff said:
    Pardon my being a curmudgeon, but why not just drive a Jag?
    Because I like the Hudson body style more than the Jag. There is more room in the engine compartment for the big engine and overdrive trans I am using. There is more room inside the car for my fat arse. I started with a stripped out old race car that no one had any interest in building because of all the missing parts and pieces and the caved in quarter panel. I'm not spending anyone else's money on this car. I will make it what I want it to be. I have others that are stock. This one isn't.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    You are obviously a skilled craftsman.
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    A 47 anything that rides and drives  comfortably with performance seems like fun and the fact that it is a Hudson pickup only adds to it.  No one else has one like it and it will give another meaning to twin h power.  Looks stock to most people
  • The rear mounts are done.
  • One front mount done, including provisions to mount the sway bar. I will be shortening the tubing and bolt on the outside of the frame rail
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Just curious as to what you are using to weld with?
    Thanks for the updates!
  • All I have is an arc welder.
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    54coupe said:
    All I have is an arc welder.

Impressive welding for an arc welder. I gave up years ago and got a Mig. I was always getting the rod stuck.
  • 54coupe said:
    All I have is an arc welder.

Impressive welding for an arc welder. I gave up years ago and got a Mig. I was always getting the rod stuck.
    Thank you... I'm doing the best I can, with what I have to work with.
  • The fabrication work is all done. Now I have to take it all back out and make it pretty.
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    Some photos of an xj6 ifs in my 47 pu. Unfortunately not in order and have more with details but the process was similar.  Finally cut off about 36" of frame and rebuilt to fit the ifs.  The jag irs was much easier
  • The engine should end up juuuust about there.
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    Here is what a more modern version of twin h power looks like.  Sorry didn't mean to butt in just a comparison of inline 6 vs. v8 installations with jag ifs
  • I just might be in love again.

• I think the engine got bigger.
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    That will look good when rolling down the road
  • 54coupe said:

I think the engine got bigger.