Hub Cap spring clips

35 Terraplane
35 Terraplane Senior Contributor
Does anyone have a source for the spring clips and rivets that hold the hub cap on the rim?

Comments

• dholck
    dholck Expert Adviser
    I think a good wheel repair shop should be able to help you.  I have one of those 4-lug artillery wheels (for the spare) to pick up from powder coating right now!  I talked with a wheel shop and was almost in a position to tell you something definitive, but ...one clip was missing from my wheel, and I had another wheel that had only one good clip, so I transplanted that one instead.  We just attached it with a regular pop rivet tool and then used a punch to make a divot in the clip for the other hole.  I also thought about how I could attach it with a little bolt; the back side of the wheel you don't see, and the front side is hidden by the hubcap. 
    I wonder if some of these Chevy clips might not work?
     https://www.tuckersparts.com/Hub-Cap-Clips.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Chevy-GMC-1-2-Ton-Truck-Hubcap-Hub-Cap-Wheel-Clip-1937-1960-/352322526574
  • 35 Terraplane
    Thanks for the links.  The Chevy clips looks almost the same shape and may work.  If I go that route I'll report back.
  • 35 Terraplane
    I ordered the Chevy clips.  Had to give it some love to make it workable.
    Tacked an old punch from the bin to a piece of angle to make a bending tool.
    Bent / hammered the clip over the punch to change to position of the hole then bent the wavy part back by squeezing it in the vise.  Took a few try's back and forth.  Made a cardboard gauge of sorts to check the position of the new clip relative to diameter and height.  I've decide to attach it with a screw, L'washer, nut & Loctite 271 for now.  I'm nervous about it breaking after being bent around.  If it holds up for a few years I may rivet it on.  The hub cap snapped on nicely.  You'll note I already took a chip out of my new primer getting the cap off.  Was in a hurry and didn't slip a piece of plastic under the pry bar.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    FWIW I know that step-down hubcap clips are not a substitute for a 36 clips.
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    There is a lesson here. If you have a rusted or bent rim, remove the clips before throwing the rim. Also the outer rusted rim can be replaced with a modern rim. Wish I had realised this in the past.
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
    I would assume those are spring steel or just a strip of bent mild steel?  Spring steel is difficult to bend, reconfigure at best
  • 35 Terraplane
    I bought them from a Chevy parts place in WA. They said the material is spring steel same as the originals. That’s why I’m nervous about having reshaped it and altering the properties of the metal. May be able to reheat and oil quench it. I may get lucky and it will hold up as is. 
  • I remember a buddy mechanic here did the reheat and oil quench trick and it works. Update us when you've done it.