Still a work in progress....My '47 is on the road again

Hello folks. finally got my '47 back on the road. Still a work in progress, but progress none the less.  Plan is to leave the exterior as is but redo the interior and have already re-powered the old girl.  5.7L hemi with 5 spd auto, full air-ride suspension and power steering.  Yet to hook up the A/C and heat and finish the interior.

Comments

• Engine bay>
  • Interior
  • Val
    Val Member
    Back on the road is great! Enjoy!
  • cool, what rear end are you using??
  • mustang 7.5in. I had an 8.8 but axle housing ended up being bent. 4-link with air bags.

• All right that makes my search real easy, cheers and best of luck with your project
  • I forgot to ask, did you have to make any alterations or was it a bolt in application. also what year mustang am I looking for??
  • other than welding in the 4link, the only other modification was I had to cut and raise the trunk pan to clear the rear end housing with the air bags deflated. basically created a hump in the trunk pan (raised it to the top edge of the frame).
  • if you look closely, the "hump" is what the air tank is sitting on. everything is attached to the body, not the frame, so body can still be removed as usual. Rear end came out of an 06 Mustang V6. Honestly I would have preferred the 8.8, same track width for the same years. But wrecking yard did not have a good one to swap out for the bent one (no refund, only yard credit :( )

• cool. I have a lead on a 1970 mustang rear end complete with brakes etc. Searching the web I get different measurements??Will this fit my 47? It is supposed to be 59.5 inches
  • cool. I have a lead on a 1970 mustang rear end complete with brakes etc. Searching the web I get different measurements??Will this fit my 47? It is supposed to be 59.5 inches
    The overall width of the factory rear end is 60". You will probably have to relocate the perches, but that's easy. I use 57-8-9 Ford rears. They are too narrow at 57.75", but I use a 1" spacer on each drum to make it right. The spring perches are in the right place, and the Hudson parking brake cables bolt right up. It's a 9", so you can get any ratio you want.
  • scar426, Great build. I bet that is a lot of fun to drive, and could easily be a great daily transportation car.
  • Thanks! Yup. so far, so good. Sorting out the AC system now. need it here in Texas, LOL!!  HOT,HOT, HOT!!!