Is the wrong fuel pump on my 53 Hudson Hornet?????

Is the wrong fuel pump on my 53 Hudson Hornet ????? Looking at rebuild kits on eBay and I noticed my fuel pump looks different than ones posted on eBay... i cannot find any reference numbers on mine, just Made In USA....
The kits reference "AJ"... My Hudson manual shows the same "AJ" picture...
The bottom pic is what I ordered. Comments would be appreciated.

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Both pumps are usable on 232-262-308 engines.  If the pump in picture 2 is yours it might have a laminated pumping arm.  Laminated arms can wear the cam fuel pump lobe.  I recommend fuel pump kits that are sold by folks line Dale Cooper.
  • The fuel pump # is usually stamped on the side of the pump where it bolts to the engine.
  • The fuel pump # is usually stamped on the side of the pump where it bolts to the engine.

There is no stamp on the outside of the body at all except an "A", there are numbers internally  FP705... on the arm the stamp is 8420

I sent a pic to the guy I ordered the kit from and he indicated it was an  early model pump AC#583 however I cannot confirm this as I could not find anything on the web to compare to see if it looks the same.

What I am concerned about is the gasket (top pic) from pump to engine is very thick compared to the kit... would it matter if I used a thinner gasket??

Would this pump be from a different vehicle? looks similarly to a Packard pump....

Any ideas?

Gord

• Any tricks to get the check valves out of the pump bodies????
  • Courtesy Man
    Courtesy Man Expert Adviser
    For an original equip pump you must use the thick gasket that goes to the engine block - it provides correct spacing for the arm to pump enough fuel.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor

Pump to engine gasket is laminated and about 3/8 of an inch

• Thanks guys for the info on the gasket. I will use the same thickness as what was on it.

I came up with a way to get the check valves out of the pump bodies.

Took a machine screw with a larger head than the opening of the check valve, then ground it down and notched the threaded shaft, hooked it in place then wrenched it out using a flat plate larger than the body of the pump.

• Ready to go back in the car...
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    There are also bakelite sleeves to put on the bolts to minimize heat transfer between the bolts and the housing.  I have ordered them before but can't remember from where.

John
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Dale Cooper provides the sleeves with his new fuel pumps... may sell them too?
  • Thanks guys, almost forgot them... dug around and found them.
    Thanks.