Hudson OEM Backup light for Stepdowns

pseftoncomcastnet
pseftoncomcastnet Senior Contributor
edited November 2019 in HUDSON
hey, trying to wrap my head around the original backup light option for stepdowns. Do I have it right that this is a single light that corresponds to the Unity C model on Chrysler products? Also, is the light manually switched on and off by the driver rather than via a collar on the steering column? If the switch is manual, what should it look like.

Regards,

Peter sefton
1951 Commodore

Comments

• Peter the were several versions of the back up light. Yes there are the model C Unity lights which have a base that screws into the body of the car but there were several other backup light versions that attached to the rear of the car a bit differently. Yankee made them BLC made them , Dietz made them as well as others. The back up light switch on a hydramatic was on the same switch as the neutral safety switch. Those two studs are where the backup light wiring was located.  The backup lighting for cars up to 1951 on non hydramatic cars was supplied by a manual switch on the dash which was activited by the driver. On 3 speed and overdrive models after 1951 there was an optional backup light switch on the bottom of the shifter column.
  • pseftoncomcastnet
    Hi, Lance, that is most informative. I should have noted that I have a 1951 with a manual transmission and overdrive. Wondering whethewr the switch you mention on the 1952 and later column might be transplantable to a 1951 column, or is it integral with the later columns.

Peter
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Current auction on eBay for backup lights.  The switch in this system uses mechanical interface.  But would not work on your car.  
  • I just installed an NOS Hudson backup light kit on my 51 Commodore. It was in the Genuine Hudson Box. Unity model c as used on Mopar. Look for the ones that don’t have Mopar stamped on top. I have the wiring instructions for both Hydramatic and standard. And the template for drilling the holes for mounting, and you flip the template over for the other side if mounting two lites. It tells you where to mount the switch under the dash if used on a standard shift car.
  • I also bought an NOS backup light kit for a Nash because it had the same Unity model C light as used on Hudson.
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    edited November 2019
    I have a used set if someone can use them:

One needs a bulb , one needs a gasket
    See photos for condition
    $25 for the Pair plus shipping , send zip in private message
    USPMO or PayPal , buyer handles fees
    Thanks
    Roy 

Also have this set of Yankee:
    Nice condition Yankee lights. Use for back up or front turn signal.
    stainless rims . glass lens
    Good condition. Need bulb , can be 6 or 12 volt.
    See photos.
    $34 pair plus shipping, $8 priority mail.
    USPMO or PayPal , buyer handles fees
    Send a Private message
    Thanks
    Roy 

• pseftoncomcastnet
    Wow - thanks for all the information - proof once again I came to the right place! Sorry to be a little naive about the setup - my Commodore is in Upstate NY  and I'm at my usual home in VA, so I'm working off the pictures in the manual.

Peter S.
  • ratlee2
    ratlee2 Expert Adviser
    29sptphaeton,
    Can you post a copy of the mounting template?  I will be installing at set on my 53 Hornet this winter.
  • I’ll try to copy and post tomorrow, If that doesn’t work I’ll have my computer friend do it for me.
  • I made copies of everything today, but I don't know how to post the copiesand they need clearing up. My computer friend can do it for me.  Possibly on Sat. and I'll have it posted to my web site also. wwwbellinghamautosales.com
  • Ratlee2 I just noticed that you want to mount the backup lights on a 53. Same lights but they mount higher and you need the hockey puck angled spacers. My template won’t work.
  • Backup light photos of 51 Commodore
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited November 2019
    Ratlee2>> You said 1953, SO, Unless you just want to drill holes in the body, you should consider backup lights mounted to the rear license plate. And with 12 volts, they are 100 WATTS total.  You need all the light you can get backing a Hudson at night.
    Only at O'Reillys, #BLZ-RE761C, $25.

And the backup lites at night !!

• ratlee2
    ratlee2 Expert Adviser

29sptphaeton,

Thanks for posting the picture.  I noticed the same thing as soon as I looked at the picture.  Mine have the hockey puck style gaskets and would mount above the tail lights.

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    My 52Hornet had them mounted on trunk lid from the dealer.
  • That was a common practice back then. My Dad was a Hudson Dealer and if the cars were delivered from the factory with backup lights they were above the tail lights.  Dealer installed accessories were mounted either way the customer wanted.
  • shibara
    shibara Member
    edited June 2022
    Even if the strength of the lighting in the photo is just a light distortion effect, it looks decent. I googled the prices, and even now, they aren't much different from those described here. My Commodore isn't due for another week, so I'm just gathering information here. The previous owner warned me about the need to replace the backup lighting, but this is the only information pulled from him. Thank him for not sticking something even more original instead of light bulbs https://www.vont.com/product/smart-strip-lights-led-strip-lights/.