*1927 Essex Biddle & Smart "Speedabout"

1927 Essex “Super Six” Biddle & Smart Speedabout – Chassis Number 693777

Introduced for the 1927 model year, the Speedabout was the most sporty and exciting body style Essex offered. Speedabout bodies were made by famed coachbuilder Biddle & Smart of Massachusetts, source of many limited-production bodies. The Speedabout chassis was fitted with a special rear axle gear ratio that, combined with the 55-horsepower Essex “Super Six” engine, allowed for a top speed estimated at 80 mph.

The total number of Speedabouts produced is not known, but very few (reportedly fewer than a dozen) survive today.

This car, no. 693777, was purchased by the current owner in 1991 and underwent a complete and proper, fully documented frame-off restoration by an Essex expert from 1992 to 2007. Finished in a rich Emerald Green, no expense was spared from the chassis and drivetrain to the correct leather interior and plating work. An excellent tour car.

Asking $50,000 (Negotiable)

You can contact me directly here on the Forum for my direct contact info if you would like more information on the car.

Thanks!

Clayton Paddison (Mr. ModelT)

Comments

• These cars are SO cool.
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    At least 4 in New !!
  • Spencer Yarrow
    Spencer Yarrow Expert Adviser
    One being restored in Australia
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    Spencer, are you referring to Shane in Adelaide? All finished.
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    ESSX28-1 said:
    At least 4 in New Zealand

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Contrary to hearsay, the top speed of these cars was around 55 m.p.h.   I would not  dare to venture above this speed with two-wheel brakes!
  • Geoff said:
    Contrary to hearsay, the top speed of these cars was around 55 m.p.h.   I would not  dare to venture above this speed with two-wheel brakes!

I always felt the same way...80 mph seemed awfully dubious  
  • bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    I may still have some of the door bumpers that receive/guide the door when shut.  If you are also missing the retainers, they would have to be made.