Suitable Electric Fuel Pump for 1934 Hudson 8 ?

Old Fogey UK
Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
I've gone through 3 "eBay Specials" Facet-type pumps so far and they're pure crap ! 
I'd like to change to a better quality electric pump.
None of the British pump suppliers have a clue what sort of pump I'd need.
Have any 254 cu in owners gone down the electric pump route successfully and could they recommend a good one, please ?
I've swapped out the old Carter carb for a Daytona Parts Zenith 228 lookalike "universal" - according to Hudson lore, the Zenith 228 was the service replacement for the Carter W1 back in the day.
Alternatively, has anyone got a mechanical pump I could rebuild ?

Comments

• BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    edited October 2019
    I don’t know if this may help, it’s said to work with 6 volt.  

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Sold by various vendors carter fuel pump
    You can review here 
    https://www.jegs.com/i/Carter/180/P4259/10002/-1

I am am using this pump with the mechanical in place.  I have a bypass around the pump which has a one way check valve in it . My pump is installed in a Stepdown Hudson.  Works great.   
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    I like these made in New Zealand electric pumps, they have low pressure versions that don't pump through old carburettors. And they are dead quiet. In 6V you need their 060 model and in 12V the 015L model. I've recently installed an 060 on a 36 Terra and an 015L on a Linn logging truck. I have a 35 H8 project that is getting an 015L pump shortly. 
    FuelFlow have an Australian stockist which is where I buy my pumps from, couldn't readily see if they have a UK stockist.

http://www.fuelflow.co.nz/FF_cms_03/eshop?page=shop.browse&category_id=29&TreeId=1
  • Old Fogey UK
    Thanks very much, Guys.

Big Sky - I have the Airtex fitted at the moment but it's on the way out.

Glowplug - the Carter looks good, is it OK without a pressure regulator? If use a regulator, what pressure setting do you have it on?

Bob Ward - it seems Fuelflow pumps are available in the United Kingdom but I'd never heard of them. Do you need a pressure regulator with the 060 on your Terraplane?
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The carter does not over pressure the carter carb on my vehicle.  It is designed to put out 6 psi continuous.   
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Old Fogey, not my 36 Terra, but no pressure regulator needed. 
  • Old Fogey UK
    Carter pumps don't seem to be available in Britain but Fuelflow pumps are.
    So, I have ordered a 6 volt 060 pump.
    I checked with Fuelflow in New Zealand and they said it should be OK.