Hudson Super Six 1923 Water Pump

Hi Guys,
After driving my Hudson I have noticed a leak around the water pump.  It is very slow drip drip and seems to stop
after a few days sitting in the garage. My motor meter never goes into the circle at the top so I know it is not boiling over.
Is this a sign of a failing water pump? Anything for me to check or do?
Robert

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    You need to either tighten, or re-pack the glands on the front and rear of the pump.  And make sure the drain hole in the casting in the front of the pump is clear, otherwise you are in danger of  allowing water to flow into the timing case and thence in to the  engine.  The hole is located under the front section of shaft that you can see.
  • Thanks Geoff I'll take a look at it and let you know what I find.
    Robert

• Courtesy Man
    Courtesy Man Expert Adviser
    As I understand it the glands are a threaded nut with a rope impregnated with graphite (?) used to seal the shaft. A problem over time is the shaft - unless changed out to stainless steel - the steel shaft will corrode and cut up the packing worsening the leak.
    I know some machine shops have "upgraded" the pumps with sealed bearings and stainless shaft - last one done on a 1929 Hudson years ago was for $800.  Gert Kristiansen
  • Thanks Gert sounds like the solution if all else fails. I did tighten the front nut that was loose. I do have some packing material and will change it out if the leak starts again.
    Robert
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    Water is cheap and not messy like an oil leak :)
    When the motor heats up things expand and possibly the leak may stop.
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

When tightening the glands you want a little water weep.  This keeps the shaft lubricated.  What I do is start the car and loosen the gland until I start to get some water passing by the packing.  Then tighten the nut until you get a dip about once a min or less.  Then you know you are good.  You need some water to lubricate or the packing material can get dry and really cut into the shaft.  If the shaft is corroded it is going to be a problem.  My 15 leaks from one side badly when sitting but if I tighten while running it is tolerable.  Just be careful of the spinning parts.  When it leaks at a greater rate when running and you keep tightening there is a problem with the packing or shaft.

Jay

• Very good information Jay. The shaft is not corroded so one problem I don't have.
    Going to Hershey this week and will look for some more packing material.
    Robert
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    You need to use a decent graphite impregnated packing.  Square section 5mm.  
  • Thanks I'm sure I can find some at the Hershey meeting.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Let me know if you can't and I can get you some from the local pump and filter warehouse. 

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    If you're at Hershey, rhurst, visit the flea market space of Carl Weber.  (He's located next to the Hudson club's space in the Red Field -- at the extreme eastern end of the flea market.)  He owns a number of earlier Hudsons and could probably tell you how to handle the leak, and where to buy the materials you'll need in order to do so.
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser
    Restoration Supply has what you need.  They have many sizes.  Just tell them what you need.
  • Thanks Jon and Jay. Did see Carl Weber at Hershey and visited the Restoration Supply and have ordered what I need. Thanks guys for being so helpful.