Painting 35 Terraplane rims

35 Terraplane
35 Terraplane Senior Contributor

I'm replacing the tires on my 35 Tplane.  

The rims have some rust so I was going to have them soda blasted and painted.

I checked with a local powder coater but they don’t have a close enough color match.

Any suggestions on the type paint a body shop could use so it doesn’t chip when the tires are installed?

Tom

Comments

• bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    I'd be thinking a 2 pack urethane paint, try to find the colour you want in an industrial version of the paint, they tend to be tough and hard. 
  • 35 Terraplane
    Bob, I did a lot of reading about soda blasting prior to contacting the body shop that does it. From what I read the key is the removal of all the sodium bicarbonate prior to painting. The guys at the shop volunteered this without me asking. Said they typically only like the soda blast on panels or objects without small cervices where the soda residue can be difficult to remove. They wash the part with hot water and Dawn dish soap then blow dry with clean air just prior to priming. We had about a two hour conversation about the whole process. They said all the right things I wanted to hear. It's a two man shop, the owner told me he was 61 and his apprentice was 36. I feel confident in their ability but I guess only time will tell. I spoke with my friend who gave the lead. He said they've done many parts for him over the years and he's never had a problem. I did ask about either epoxy, enamel vs the newer urethane primer and top coat system. He told me they prefer the urethane system as epoxy and enamels are "old school" and in his estimation don't hold up as well over the long haul. 
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    Look for a tire installer who has the plastic covers which go on the tire changer.  Around 15 years ago I had an 89 Shelby CSX-VNT & it had a fiber type of rim, so when I bought new tires to install I looked around & found a place which had the ability to not damage the rims.  
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    Here are a few of the plastic parts that they use on the machines to keep from damaging your rims.

• 35 Terraplane
    Thanks Big Sky.  The tire installer I've know for years, he has his own small shop. I'll past this data along to him.  He directed me to a body shop that does restoration work. I visited it last Thursday morning. The body shop told me to have the tires removed. They'll soda blast the rims inside and out and prime the entire rim. Then I'll have the tires mounted. Back to the body shop and they'll then mask the tires, do the top coat, add the pin strip and add the clear. He said he's done it this way may times and guarantees his work. He showed me multiple pictures of his work. From cars, to motorcycles to snowmobiles.  Attached is a pic of the worst rim.
  • bob ward
    I have some tatty 36 wheels that will be painted soon, I'll leave the paint & rust removal to the local sand blaster who understands old cars, his old car blasting media is well used garnet, its almost as fine as flour. As you say, the key to a successful paint job is to first remove the left over media from all the nooks and crannies and there are a lot of those. In an ideal world I'd separate the rims from centres and take off the spring clips, but that isn't going to happen.
  • 35 Terraplane
    Any preference to the location of the jack stands.  As shown in the attached pic OR outboard of the spring mount?  I'll have a jack stand at each corner while the wheels are off to paint.
  • bob ward
    I prefer to put jack stands under the axles where possible.