I need an Nos clock to match this speedometer AND hiw can i free this stubborn head bolt ?

I thought I’d had a pair of a matching nos clock and speedo for this project. I can’t find the clock. Does anyone have a nos clock to match this speedometer? The numbers are pure white , 3 dimensional not the painted type like on the pacemakers. AND I’m embarrassed to ask but I can’t loosen the center head bolt on this 308. All others came out easily. Any suggestions? I don’t want to cut the head off and try to pry the head off if possible .thanks.

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Your picture indicates other head bolts had rust under the bolts on the lock washers and appears the bolts too. One suggestion -  spray the bolts liberally with a penetrating oil.  Let it set for a day and spray again... after a few more hours take a impact wrench on low air power and "rattle" the head for a few minutes then try to remove with breaker bar and 6 point socket.  Good Luck
  • Sili Kroil
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Kroil is king!
    Also you can use heat and then light tapping with a mall. Let cool, add penetrating oil, let set and do all over. Patients is the key!
  • Got it out without breaking it !
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Great!!  these can be a bear to get out. I had one that I tried every trick I know and it still broke. I wound up welding a nut to the broken stud and was able to turn it out that way without messing up the block.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Does your clock just not work or can you tell if something is broken?  I took mine apart and gently filed the contacts and boom it worked and keeps fairly good time.  You can also send it off and get it fixed or have the guts replaced with electric.

• It’s faded , seen better days it’s faded , seen better days. I want to have a like new cluster.
  • GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
    I can get you new faces that look very close to stock (not glow-in-the-dark however).  Or new gauges that are not-at-all stock.

Disclaimer: you would be Guinea pig, er, customer #2...
  • They look pretty cool but in this car I’m gonna keep it stock. Thanks though , Dave
  • hudsonsplasher1
    hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
    supersix said:
    I thought I’d had a pair of a matching nos clock and speedo for this project. I can’t find the clock. Does anyone have a nos clock to match this speedometer? The numbers are pure white , 3 dimensional not the painted type like on the pacemakers. AND I’m embarrassed to ask but I can’t loosen the center head bolt on this 308. All others came out easily. Any suggestions? I don’t want to cut the head off and try to pry the head off if possible .thanks.
    Try The Cas-Ker co. in Cincinnati. They fixed my 49 clock, maybe they can help with restoring the appearance. 513-674-7700.
  • dave s
    dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
    I'll check on Monday and let you know.  I did have a NOS one at my garage and don't remember ever using  or selling it.
  • Ok ,thanks