Key on hot

Installing redirad in my 39. It says connect to key on hot. Not sure which that is. Any ideas from looking at the diagram? 

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Redirad????
  • Instruction manual states "if your vehicle has a fuse panel replace the ring lug on the black wire with the enclosed spade terminal and connect it to key on hot power. " 
  • on your wiring diagram, the R wires from the ignition switch to the gauges, or the R wire from the ignition switch to the starter button, with both be "key on hot power".

• Squirrel, So I don't connect to the fuse panel?
  • The fuse panel has full time power, it's always hot. It does not turn off when you turn off the key.

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    As I understand it, the RediRad provides a terminal for an exterior device such as a Bluetooth, and it takes that device's audio output and sends it through your vintage radio's speaker.  Is that correct?

Does your Hudson radio do anything besides supply the speaker?  Does it control the sound volume, for instance?
  • Val
    Val Member
    edited September 2019
    The volume control is on the speaker. However the on /off knob does rotate a ways as if it were to control volume but as I don't have an antennae I cant get any reception to tell if it does or not. Do you have a radio in your 37 Jon?  Also I spoke with Matt at redirad and he suggest I check for key on hot behind the headlight switch. Not sure myself if that will be but I can try and see if its even accessible. My radio blocks me from getting to from behind on the ignition switch and starter button.  

• I doubt you'll find any "key on hot" terminals at the light switch or fuse block. That stuff is on all the time, not only when you turn on the key.

The gauges, ignition, and starter seem to be the only things that are switched on with the key.

• Val
    Val Member
    edited September 2019
    Gauges would be my best option then as I cannot access the ignition switch or starter button because of the radio
  • Gauges are a no because of the radio. However, the ignition coil. That is Key on hot???
  • Yes, it is
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Pardon my ignorance, what foreign term is "Key on hot"???
  • It would be an electrical terminal connection that has power when the key is "on", and no power when the key is in the "off" position.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Thank you for the explanation.  Obviously an Americanism, as I have never heard the term.
  • jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    That's OK Geoff, a while back I finally had to ask as to where on a Hudson the 'bonnet' was!
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Easy., the bonnet is over the head (which is on the engine), and the hood is over the the top!
  • jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    LOL!!