Air filter for Carter two barrel carb

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
I'm not having very much luck finding an air filter for my two barrel carb that has a 2 5/8 OD.  Most of the K & N filters are overpriced in my opinion and the Mr. Gasket air filters with this size neck dimension kept getting bad reviews.  I can't figure out how to use the Spectre website to put in the dimensions I'm looking for.  Any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• Back in the 80's when I had a Hudson pickup with a 262, I bought a 4" chrome job with a 2 5/8" neck, from Napa. It looked pretty cool on there, but restricted the airflow severely. Since then, when I change to something other than stock, I buy something with a filter at least 5" in diameter. A good counter man at Napa, who knows how to use a book should be able to get you what you need.
  • Mr Gasket #1490 from Summit racing is $26.34. Fits 2 5/8 carb. filter is 2 7/16 tall and 6" diameter. There are others too. Your local parts house can probably order it as well.
  • TerraplaneCoupe
    edited August 2019
    anyone have an opinion on the stock oil bath air cleaner?
  • I would use the stock oil bath air cleaner. If you don't have one, they're not too hard to find.

but I"m assuming you have the stock carb, not a later Carter 2bbl. The air cleaner mounting might be different if it's a later carb.

Providing just a little more info about what exactly you're working on, would be helpful.
  • squirrel said:
    I would use the stock oil bath air cleaner. If you don't have one, they're not too hard to find.

but I"m assuming you have the stock carb, not a later Carter 2bbl. The air cleaner mounting might be different if it's a later carb.

Providing just a little more info about what exactly you're working on, would be helpful.    Terraplane Coupe said:  I am using a 1950 254 eight with a stock carter and stock air cleaner.  

• JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    54coupe said:
    Mr Gasket #1490 from Summit racing is $26.34. Fits 2 5/8 carb. filter is 2 7/16 tall and 6" diameter. There are others too. Your local parts house can probably order it as well.
    I purchased this item from Summit Racing. The neck is too short to clear the choke.  I need the extension, but don't see one with a 2 5/8 interior diameter that's readily available.  Any suggestions?