308 cooling fan

My 4 bladed fan makes to much noise and I’m tired of listening to it on the freeway. 
Do any of you know of a modern 5 blade or even a modern 4 blade that fits or is adaptable ?
thanks , Paul. 

Comments

• RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited August 2019
    I have a 6 blade fan on mine, but I couldn't tell you if it is noisy; have it to move more air. Also I have a Spal curved blade pusher elec. fan that comes on with A/C and remote radiator thermostat-set at 185. You just have to find some and see if they will fit; may need a spacer for clearance from engine.

• Thanks Richard. Your set up looks good. 
    Do you know what the fan you have used is off of ?
  • Courtesy Man
    Courtesy Man Expert Adviser
    On my 1947 Hudson pu truck with Hornet engine I bought an aftermarket fan  and spacer at one of the chain auto parts stores. The spacer I machined down to size to locate it from the radiator correctly.   I also machined spacers for a similar set-up for
    friends in the Studebaker habit.  Gert Kristiansen

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited August 2019
    There are a number of well written articles on overheating and use of fans on the INTERNET.  One https://www.speedwaymotors.com/the-toolbox/looking-beyond-the-cooling-system-for-common-overheating-cures/28793  is provided by Speedway motors.  I have a Speedway flex fan with a spacer on my 1953 Wasp.  It is a 6 blade fan and I use it injunction with the changes that are chronicled in an article I placed on my Hudson Restoration website under "cooling"  and attached to this post.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The '54 and later fan blades had curved ends which actually shifted more air, and were much quieter. 
  • Must be what I have, Geoff, after checking my photo above!!
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    No Richard, you obviously have an aftermarket fan.   The -54 blades were only 4 blade, but were not set at right angles, thus improving  noise due to harmonics, and the blades were  bent straight at the top, if that makes sense, and curved inwards to an angle so that they sliced through the air much quieter.  You should not have any trouble overheating with your set up though.
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited August 2019
    Tks, I was marginal with the 6.125" water pump double pulley with A/C & power steering and 90 degree weather, even with Aluminum radiator. In order to get back to 5" diameter, I had to get two Ford 6 cyl pulleys, and chop, on lathe, and weld together at the specific offsets for my setup. It was a crazy thing but now I have correct water circulation I suppose.  The stock WP pulley was 1/8" thick at the pump flange and cracked, a very bad Hudson decision; all others have 3/16" and that is what I went with but correct ones are hard to find that is reason for 6.125" diameter one which wasn't fast enough. Even the single stock pulley is 1/8" thick !!!!!!!! Interesting, I would think. Hey, I now have a 3 groove pulley as a result of all that!!!!!!
    https://goo.gl/photos/tAu7WS2ALWvbvrNb7
  • The picture shows an older 4-blade Hudson fan (bottom) compared to what Geoff described (top). The "tweaked blade" style does move more air.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    And course you only need a water pump fan when you are stuck in traffic, at any speed over 10mph the water pump fan is superfluous, all it does is make noise, waste petrol, injure unwary fingers.
    An electric fan operated by a temperature switch is a much more elegant solution and if you are stuck in traffic it moves wayyyy more air than than a water pump fan.
  • Thank you everyone, now to find a 54 fan. 
  • Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser
    you see them on ebay from time to time I brought one recently for $10
  • Please look very closely at any old/used fan before you put it on your car. I've had them throw a blade on two occasions in my 46 Hudson pickup. The first time, the blade put a hole in my battery and the top radiator tank. The second time, it tried to exit through the side of the hood. Upon inspection, I found that it had fatigued and cracked where the two blades were riveted together. When looking at where it broke, part of the break was clean, shiny metal, and part of it was rusty. If I ever use a stock one again, I will clean it up, and have it magna-fluxed before I use it.