Very Cool Hudson Sign!

Comments

• railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    I agree it's a cool Hudson dealer porcelain enamel sign, but surprised it's only one sided for the amount of money the seller's asking for it.   Need a lot of room to display it too.  Hope it finds a good home.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    It looks like the seller had owned a two-sided sign so he removed both faces, built two separate housings, and attached each face to each of the housings.  So made double his money.
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    I agree it was once double sided and split in half to make more money. I have one (with both sides) hanging in my shop, but since it is so big, I have it hanging sideways. LOL. Great sign but he is asking way too much.
  • dholck
    dholck Expert Adviser
    It's never "too much" if you can find somebody who will pay it! 
    I'd be extremely skeptical of anything in porcelain sign offerings.  That stuff is heavily reproduced.  On any sign, I'd look very carefully at the finish and the nature of the 'distressing'.  Notice how both signs have the same nice center and chipping in the same places?  
    Of course, that could be just because the original signs took the chipping in the same areas on the top and bottom due to the nature of the signs, right?

Take a look on EBay at the "antique" toy offerings for car toys and cast iron toys; it is amazing how every car toy has been outside in the sun somewhere and all have the same skewed tires and similar paint distressing.
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    edited August 2019
    I think the big Hudson sign being sold on eBay is indeed the genuine thing.  I can't imagine someone going through the trouble to reproduce a sign that huge and hoping to find someone who'll pay that price.   But, I agree with dholck that there are a lot of reproduction porcelain enamel signs being sold online as the real thing.  Here's another Hudson sign from India that's presently on eBay.  At least it's not being promoted as a vintage original:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porcelain-Hudson-Parts-Service-Enamel-Sign-Size-27-X-36-Inches/183866284718?hash=item2acf48daae:g:MLwAAOSw5pRcP2F9
  • dholck
    dholck Expert Adviser
    Oh, I don't think the asking price has anything to do with the reality of anything - why not give it a try? 
    I will say that I know for sure there is a LOT of stuff you wouldn't think anybody would bother to reproduce - outside the auto realm also - I've bought some of it.  Anymore, I doubt if half of things that are "NOS" or "antique" or "vintage" are real anymore.  Buyer Beware! ...is all I'm  saying.  Could be that I've become a cynical old crank.

• BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    When people ask insane prices for these things, it tends to ruin the hobby.  Just look at former high priced collectibles that are now completely worthless: Trading cards, Hummel figurines, Lladro statues, Thomas Kinkade paintings, Hot Wheels and of course Beanie Babies.  
    It will be hard enough for us to find anyone in the under 20 crowd who would take up our hobby or our loved Hudson cars.  When it becomes unattainable they will definitely not partake and the hobby will die out.