Highly Recommended: Walt's Radiator Cooling Kit for '53 Hornet

Hudson_in_Seattle
edited December 2018 in HUDSON
hey guys - at the end of the Summer, i was very happy to speak with Walt Mordenti (96 y.o!), and to purchase a few different kits from him - This is for his radiator cooling kit, for my '53 Hornet - Walt's contact info is located in the HET Club White Triangle magazine classified section

I had Doug Chase, Chase Race, in Duvall, WA do the install - everything went together fine with no problems

I was pleasantly surprised to see how well the kit worked - Although I don't know how well my water temp gauge is calibrated, my Hornet runs significantly cooler when moving, and it doesn't get as hot in traffic, due in part to how much cooler is runs, prior to traffic

I need to run this setup in the Summer to really see how well it does, but so far Highly Recommended!!!

Walt is a great guy!

no affiliation

Comments

• running in 90 degree heat on the highway and in the city much cooler than before!
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    You can be affiliated with Walt.  No one will hold that against you on this forum!.  I'd say 90% of us here have bought something, or talked to him or gotten advice from him about something in the last 82 years he has been a Hudson mechanic.  First Hudson he worked on was a brand new 1937 Terraplane.  Can you imagine?  I sure can't.  That's SOME doin', right there.  
  • thanks - "no affiliation" means i have no financial interest in this post!
  • What’s in the kit and is there a website to by from? I have 8 cars, so I might need a few kits. Thanks
  • thanks - the kit has a different thermostat, gasket, plugs, etc - i found the kit in the back of the hudson club monthly magazine - i don't know if walt is still putting these out - here is some info provided by ken cates for cooling suggestions - hope this helps
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    I was wondering if Walt was still making any of his kits any longer?
  • jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    Does anyone have pics of Walts kit?
    I am curious about what the spacer is?
    Thanks,
    Jeff
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The spacer allows the Stant thermostat to fully 
    open.  The depth of the head does not allow the Stant thermostat sufficient room to fully open. Using a Mr Gasket thermostat does NOT require the spacer.
  • jjbubaboy
    Cool, good to know. Thanks Glowplug!
    Anyone know the diameter of the Mr G t-stat?

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Diameter is same as the indentation in the water hose neck.  Same as the Stant thermostat 
  • jjbubaboy
    I'm wondering if it will fit in my 36 212 motor?
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited August 2019
    Here is the one I recommend; opens up twice the area than the standard thermostat {on the right}. 63mm; at Summit Parts online.

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited August 2019
    I thought this was posted yesterday... jj the diameter of the thermostat is listed and this is what needs to be considered with your water neck size as well as the depth of the area the thermostat has to open within the head cavity. 
  • jjbubaboy
    Perfect, thank you!

• Ken,

Thank you for clarifying.
    Your 2018 write-up "COOLING A HUDSON STEPDOWN ENGINE" has comments from Rudy Bennett that claim the Mr. Gasket thermostat needs a spacer such as the one Walt (sells/sold).  I assume Rudy mixed up the Mr. Gasket model with the Stant in that statement?

Thanks.

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    cchancel said:
    Ken,

Thank you for clarifying.
    Your 2018 write-up "COOLING A HUDSON STEPDOWN ENGINE" has comments from Rudy Bennett that claim the Mr. Gasket thermostat needs a spacer such as the one Walt (sells/sold).  I assume Rudy mixed up the Mr. Gasket model with the Stant in that statement?

Thanks.

You are correct.