Driveshaft support

I have been getting a loud banging from under my 1952 Hudson Hornet and after jacking up the car I noticed that there is a rear driveshaft support with two rubber bumbers that is broken.  The right (driver side) is still intact with the bumper facing in toward the bearing.  The left (passenger side) is loose and has the bumper facing outward away from the bearing allowing the driveshaft to drop until it rests on the cross member.  I also don't see a bolt hole in the loose bumper bracket that shows me how this should be installed. Can anyone supply info on the orientation of these bumper brackets or if there should be any additional pieces that may have fallen off?  The car has an automatic trans.

Comments

• Ducor Kid
    Ducor Kid Expert Adviser
    edited June 2019
    This pdf may help you figure out what is missing.

• OK see the PDF page but it doesn't open

• Ducor Kid
    Ducor Kid Expert Adviser
    Ok try  this doc file instead.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Here you go.... the same picture Larry posted as a JPG

• Ducor Kid
    Ducor Kid Expert Adviser
     Thanks for posting. You would think with 35+ years working with computers I'd have less trouble posting a picture.
    Larry
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Ducor, for what it's worth, the PDF opened up for me but the "Doc" didn't.
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    Both opened OK for me
  • Ducor Kid said:

Ducor Kid said:

• Thank You to everyone who has helped on this.  I will compare these pics to what I have under the car this weekend and give an update.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Attachments on this site will open ONLY if the person attempting to open has the necessary software functionality on their device.
  • The attached pictures are what i have under the car. The top picture is the right bumper and bracket which is still bolted on.  The bottom picture is the left bumper (facing out?) and bracket which is loose and can be spun around.  The bottom cross member where these bolt as a small round hole and a square cutout so it looks like the left bumper bracket should have another small bracket attached which bolted to the bottom cross member. I think I can drill the left bumper bracket and bolt it directly to the cross member. 

• This is a picture of the mounting holes in the cross member and the car.  Thank you to all who have commented and helped.

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Your analysis is correct.  There is a cup like mount that should be around the other rubber insulator.   The rubber mounts have metal plates vulcanized to each end of the rubber that have a threaded stud attached. The threaded stud is used to attache the cup and mount to the cross member.  There are vendors for these rubber mounts.  If you go to my HUDSON STEPDOWN RESTORATION PAGE https://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/ and click on the vendors link... go to Doug Wildrick's page and you will find the rubber part you need. Lance Walker may have the cup that you are missing.  Replace both rubber mounts and you should correct your problem.

Note the cup around the rubber mount.

• Thank you Glowplug
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The metal cups you need are on eBay - pricey with shipping but they are both in this parts lot (not my stuff)

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F150716362814

• This is a little late, but I just joined.

I had a 52 Hornet coupe when I was in high school.  Highly modified 308 & Hydra-matic. These mounts would only stand a few full throttle starts and after breaking 3 or 4 of them I "fixed"it.

This is a crude sketch, but an easy fix.  Bolt to carrier bearing bracket, shock mount washer, two shock mount rubbers (one is just to fill space), through lower carrier frame bracket, another shock rubber and washer and a locking nut.  Don't tighten the upper nut until every thing is in place.  You will never have to fix it again.

This stood up to a lot of drag racing behind a highly modified 55 Olds with a 37 LaSalle transmission that ran close to the "C Gas" record in the late 50's.

I hope this is useful.  I'm doing this to the 51 Commodore that I am starting on before I break anything.

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor

Fred, I was going to Post just what you sketched. Ive put a bolt thru the rubber with a loc nut on every Stepdown i've owned since high school, including one that I just restored.