Wanted: Heater valve for 49 Hudson Commodore Eight

I am looking for the heater valve that goes on the top of the engine and is used to control the flow of water to the heater in the car.  Please let me know if you have one or know where i could find one available.

Bob

Comments

• That's funny.  I just posted something similar in my thread on my cooling system.  I'm trying to find out if anyone has ever used a more modern style (easier to find) heater control valve.  That's all it does, anyway.

From what I've found so far, it's a Ranco Valve.  And if you have one that is leaking, you can get a new seal "kit" for it from NAPA for about $10 plus shipping (BK 6601000).  It's a single rubber seal that you replace.  Squirrel posted a link to a write up he did on another forum about the repair:  https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tech-ranco-heater-valve-repair.1159159/

I'm not sure if that is much help to you if you don't have a valve to start with, but that's all I got right now.

Ryan
  • Bob, If you want one rebuilt I rebuild them and have for Hudson guys for years. As to what you are looking for ,here is how it went:. In mid to late 1948 Hudson went to a Ranco type heater control valve.  This is not a hard and fast rule but 48-9 had both the top of the head heater control valve and the firewall heater control valve. The 1948 models were really leftover from the earlier 41-7 valves. Once the inventory was used up the new valves were used. The newer Rancos are more plentiful than the older valves and the top of the head valves are usually broken off at the threads and are a pain to remove. Generally once they are leaking they are done. The bodies of these valves are very prone to corrosion and consequently tougher to salvage once they stop working.  I would suggest using a plug on your head and going with the later model Ranco. You can rebuild them yourself or I can sell you one. Either way  it's up to you.
  • Dear Ryan and Lance,

Thanks for your notes and info.  I am a new Hudson owner and the info is appreciated.

Lance, I think that i might be interested in one of your Ranco valves but i am not sure where it should be installed.  In my car there is currently a plug in the top of the head cover and a plug in the top of the water pump and the two heater hoses coming from the firewall (one long and one short) were disconnected and loose.  In addition, there is a short jumper hose on the fire wall between two outlets coming from inside.   Where on the firewall would the Ranco valve be installed?

Could you send phone number so we can discuss location.

Thanks,

Bob
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    I have a Lance rebuild and it works great.
  • Bob, My number is 704 792 911 zero.