Engine Number Location for a 1942 Hudson Commodore 8

davidg01
davidg01 Member
edited August 2019 in HUDSON
Hello All,

Where is the engine number located on a 1942 Hudson Commodore 8? The 1942 Hudson Owners Manual says it is stamped on the top of the engine block between Nos. 1 and 2 exhaust manifold flanges. Does this mean the exhaust manifold needs to be removed to see the engine number?

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Yes, It is between Nos. 1 and 2 exhaust manifold flanges unless the block has been skimmed and taken the numbers off with it. And no. You don't need to remove the manifold.
  • davidg01
    davidg01 Member
    edited August 2019
    Are Nos. 1 and 2 exhaust manifold flanges at the front of the engine where the fan belt is? Also, I can't seem to find any information telling me which way the engine cylinders are numbered i.e. cylinder is 1 at the front of the engine, and cylinder 8 is at the back of the engine.  
  • Cylinders are numbered 1-8 front to rear.
  • davidg01
    davidg01 Member
    edited August 2019
    So cylinder 1 is at the front of the engine? Does that also mean the exhaust manifold flanges numbers match with the engine cylinders? i.e. exhaust manifold flange number 1 covers engine cylinder number 1? 

• You are correct. 
  • Great, thanks for your help.
  • davidg01
    davidg01 Member
    edited August 2019
    One of my Hudson Manuals tells me that the engine number should be on the right side of the engine, does this mean the side of the engine where the exhaust manifold attaches?
  • Left and right is always referred to as if you're sitting in the driver's seat.
  • Great, thanks for your help again.