Bronze Valve Guides?

BigSky
BigSky Senior Contributor
Does anyone have a source for bronze valve guides in 11/32” ID & 0.625 OD?

Comments

• not bronze, but possibly the correct size. The OD is kind of critical to get exact, though.

• BigSky
    Your the Man!!!!!!!!
  • BigSky
    Well.... the Summit Racing website showed two different stem sizes 11/32” & in the notes 0.3735 which is 3/8” for the item.   After calling Summit Racing 3 different times, I finally reached someone who could find out which size it was & unfortunately it’s 3/8”ID, which is too large.    I am upgrading my 37 Hudson from the original 3/8” valve stems to the 38 & later 11/32” valve stem with all new guides.  

As Squirrel stated the OD is the critical one & his is absolutely right.  Then finding the same or smaller internal diameter is next, as it can always be reamed out to the size I need.  Length is not too big of an issue as long as it’s at least 2” in length.  Original is around 2.5” but since the valves are vertical I can safely go down to 2” if necessary.   I’ve continued to search for a guide with an 11/32” ID (.3437ID) & 0.627 OD but have come up short. 

Egge’s website shows guide size 0.3437ID & 0.627OD for a 38-40 Hudson.  So if anyone else knows of one, let me know.  

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Dale Cooper has the correct valve guides.
  • BigSky
    I ordered a set from him and they aren’t the correct ones.  I spoke to him about the issue over two weeks ago and still haven’t heard back.   I called again this morning but he’s still not answering phone calls.  While I don’t want to buy elsewhere, I may be forced to do so if I don’t hear back from him soon.
  • Courtesy Man
    Courtesy Man Expert Adviser
    Hi Big Sky - Are these same for intake and exhaust ?  I have NOS cast iron .625 OD and .342 ID  and length is 2.568 . These are initial dimensions. Or I may be able to machine you a set in bronze (alum- silicone-bronze) but just the raw stock is expensive before machine work Will check number of the cast iron supply if you are interested and can send photos. Gert Kristiansen Deseret Chapter  (retired machinist).

• Courtesy Man
    Big Sky are you in need of valves ? May have some NOS.  Gert
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Exhaust and intake valve guides are not the same.  Exhaust guides are longer, and have a recess machined in the top to allow for expansion of the stem.   
  • Courtesy Man
    Yes thank you Geoff I see the difference now. Exhaust length about 2.945 - I have both intake and exhaust ( although many more intake guides). Gert
  • BigSky

The exhaust & intake for the 1937 Hudson 212ci 6 cylinder are the same length approximately 2.5”  However, the exhaust guide has a top length of around 1/2” on the inside reamed out wider to allow for expansion.  See photos above.  

Now the 254ci 8 cylinder has different lengths, which looks to be what I was incorrectly sent.  
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Use them.   The longer guides will support the valves better.  the parts interchange catalogue says to use the '47-52 guides in all models '38-'42
  • BigSky
    I’m rather surprised no one has a source for “Bronze” valve guides in an 11/32”ID that would fit the engine.   I’ve seen them for pretty much every other vehicle out there.  
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Bronze guides are not necessary, and indeed if used with stainless valve stems could cause jamming, as both bronze and stainless expand more  when hot.   Go with the ones you have.   
  • BigSky
    The valves are not stainless steel.  While they may not be necessary, they are an advantage over the original cast iron guides.

Bronze material is intended to decrease friction rather than iron which is abrasive by nature.  Bronze is going to be less apt to gall in situations where iron would due to its self lubricating nature.

BTW, how many aftermarket head manufacturers do you see putting cast guides in their high dollar heads?  There is a reason.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Bronze also expands more than cast iron.  so you will have to allow extra clearance.  Why not just use the  guides you have been sent?
  • BigSky
    Because they are the WRONG ONES!
  • Per
    Per Member
    In my 1935 Hudson 8 I have four exhaust valves that are 3/8".  They were in the car when I bought it with about 113,000 miles.  The car now has 156,000 miles.  I have not had any trouble with wear of the valve guides, either the 3/8" or all the rest which fit thinner valve stems.
    They are not bronze guides. 

I did a valve job on the car at about 120,000 miles, when I replaced all the valves.  I did another valve job at 150,000 miles.  I found that only the four 3/8" exhaust valves needed replacement. I attribute this to the thick stems being heaver, and not quite closing when driving at 50 to 55 miles per hour, which I did a lot.  Therefore I recommend 11/16", not 3/8".