Fuel Lines

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but the fuel line in my 48 Super Six is made of copper tubing from the tank right up to the fuel pump. Was this original factory material? I seriously doubt it! (Ha,ha!) 
I think I'll get some SS tubing and spend a Saturday fitting up a new fuel line. Single flares would probably be OK but I think I'll use double flares just "because." I might even go for an electric fuel pump! Any recommendations?

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Like Ken says!
  • Ducor Kid
    Ducor Kid Expert Adviser
    Ken and Geoff speak with great wisdom!
    I like Cunifer for brake and fuel.
  • Thanks fella's! I was pretty sure the copper was not OEM!

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Ken is right that SS is a pain to bend but I have gotten pretty good at it and bought a tool from the UK to flare it without problems.  The standard flaring tool really is not designed to work with stainless.  
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    What's wrong with steel?   I have the same  question for those who want stainless steel water pipes for Vintage era Super Sixes.   They have taken 90 years to rot out.  How long are you going to live to warrant a Stainless one, considering the  extra difficulty in making one?  I supply  plain steel pipes with a 50 year guarantee! (I'm 81).
  • Also we seem to maintain our old cars a bit better than they got for the decades they sat dormant....   Steel is fine.

• drivergo2
    drivergo2 Expert Adviser
    Is it 5/16 outside diameter . ??  Thanks John
  • drivergo2 said:
    Is it 5/16 outside diameter . ??  Thanks John
    Yes
  • drivergo2
    drivergo2 Expert Adviser
    Thanks 54
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor

Copper is not good to use because it will break down and start leaking in the piping.  I have seen a few engine fires start this way.  I go with the steel pipe.  Never had a problem bending or flairing it.  Measure twice, cut once or something like that...