How to tell a late 52 hudson Hornet from a early one

drivergo2
drivergo2 Expert Adviser
Am I correct that the late 52s screw in rear tail lites , Plastic front turn signal covers and a Dana rear end in them ?. Thanks for any feed back . John

Comments

• Lance
    Lance Member
    John, The early 52 Hornets had  glass front parking light lenses, glass rear tail light lenses and still had Hudson built rear ends.   Later on Hudson switched to Dana/Spicer rear ends, plastic parking and rear tail light lenses.  Also, The early speedo and clock faces on the Hornets used a light grey marble making it tough to read the numerals. Later the grey marbeling switched to a darker color to give a better contrast to the numerals . 
  • 5433HET
    5433HET Expert Adviser
    I have never seen a 52 Hornet with glass tailights.
  • Lance
    Lance Member
    Weird thing is, the plastic lenses will not interchange with the glass ones.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Pity.  I have replaced the plastic tail lights on my Jet with real glass ones.  Much nicer. 
  • drivergo2
    drivergo2 Expert Adviser
    Are the wheel bearings the same or do you have to tell them it’s for a Dana /Spicer?
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    There's some more info here about the early front parking lights and rear tail light assemblies here.  Look for the entry dated 12/27/10:

http://52hornetvert.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2011-06-15T08:11:00-07:00&max-results=7

• 5433HET
    5433HET Expert Adviser
    The first front lenses were glass, but the rears were ALWAYS plastic, just different style retainers. I have the early park lamps and retainers. 
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    Did Hudson switch over to the manual type - double shift lever transmission in 1952?
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Did Hudson switch over to the manual type - double shift lever transmission in 1952?
    Yes.  
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Except for export models.  My r.h.d '53 Hornet has a single lever transmission.