Lets see some unique intake and exhaust set ups

Comments

• 33kc1989
    33kc1989 Senior Contributor
    I’ll have to agree with Paul.  Really cool stuff.  
  • bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    Hi bent medal, The photos of the 6cyl. With the Edmunds Dual carb setup look Great. Do you have any photos of the exhaust manifold on it? What did you do about the part of the manifold that 
    attaches to the intake manifold?

The one I think you are referring to is an eight.  The exhaust is on the motor in the pictures.  However, if you put on an aftermarket intake manifold on a six or eight it won't have the heat riser and all of that connecting the intake and exhaust anymore.  The intake and exhaust will become separated.  ...at least on all of them I've ever seen.
  • Sorry, I meant 8 cyl. Bent Metal, did you cut off the section of the exhaust manifold that would have been sticking out between the two carbs on the Edmunds intake?  I have an Edmunds for my 8cyl. And need to figure out the exhaust.
  • bent metal
    Sorry, I meant 8 cyl. Bent Metal, did you cut off the section of the exhaust manifold that would have been sticking out between the two carbs on the Edmunds intake?  I have an Edmunds for my 8cyl. And need to figure out the exhaust.

Something is getting mixed up in our conversation.  I think you are referring to the 8 cylinder with Edmunds intake.  The exhaust on that motor is stock.  Because it's an 8 it doesn't connect to the intake and dumps at the front of the motor.  The 6's in stock configuration do connect the intake and exhaust and dump on the side of the motor right in the middle.  But the Edmunds intake won't have a connection to the exhaust, not in 6 or 8, at least none I've ever seen.  I think you are mixing up the 6 and 8.  Maybe take your Edmunds intake out and take a look?
  • Sorry, I meant 8 cyl. Bent Metal, did you cut off the section of the exhaust manifold that would have been sticking out between the two carbs on the Edmunds intake?  I have an Edmunds for my 8cyl. And need to figure out the exhaust.
    Ivan's car has an exhaust manifold that was cast in the UK, and doesn't have the heat transfer that connects to the intake.
  • That’s what I’m looking for.  I know the Hudson 8 exhaust manifold attaches to the intake manifold.
    And does not attach to the Edmunds Aluminum dual carb manifold. My original question was, what can be done with the big hunk of cast iron that is no longer needed? Can the original manifold have this cut off and blocked?
  • Thank you 54 coupe, I’ll check with Ivan about availability.
  • bent metal
       Ok, I understand now.  I didn't have to deal with any of that.  Ivan should know about the exhaust which was through the Railton Owners Club, I think.  Thanks for clearing that up 54 coupe, and 29sptphaeton, please excuse my ignorance regarding the original exhaust configuration.  :)
  • bent metal
    Hi bent medal, The photos of the 6cyl. With the Edmunds Dual carb setup look Great. Do you have any photos of the exhaust manifold on it? What did you do about the part of the manifold that 

Now that I understand what you are talking about.  How about you make some headers for your motor?  With tubing coming up and then down the side of the motor.  Half in front, half behind the intake manifold?!?  Leave it a split, dual exhaust?  What do you think?
  • Hi bent medal, The photos of the 6cyl. With the Edmunds Dual carb setup look Great. Do you have any photos of the exhaust manifold on it? What did you do about the part of the manifold that 

Now that I understand what you are talking about.  How about you make some headers for your motor?  With tubing coming up and then down the side of the motor.  Half in front, half behind the intake manifold?!?  Leave it a split, dual exhaust?  What do you think?
    I like the header idea. You could also divert the four rear cylinders to exit up out of the center of the manifold. I sent a message to Bent Metal with a photo of the one I have, done that way, as I can't post them here.
  • bent metal
    I didn't get a photo.  How did you send it?  Why can't you get them to show up here?
  • I didn't get a photo.  How did you send it?  Why can't you get them to show up here?
    It was a text message, sent at 6:17, Thursday morning.
  • I am trying to make an intake manifold for my 308 that will have 3 Holley 1904 glass bowl 1 barrels on it anyone here have an aluminum manifold I could purchase that I could modify. The side draft weber set up looked like I could just add a log to the side o them and then install the 1904's on top of the log. Who makes the weber manifold? Thank you  Warren
  • TheSweed1 said:
    I am trying to make an intake manifold for my 308 that will have 3 Holley 1904 glass bowl 1 barrels on it anyone here have an aluminum manifold I could purchase that I could modify. The side draft weber set up looked like I could just add a log to the side o them and then install the 1904's on top of the log. Who makes the weber manifold? Thank you  Warren
    Clifford made the Weber intakes. 
  • If you do find a Weber manifold, be aware that they don't fit with a factory exhaust manifold, or with any of Clifford's headers. See the first page of this thread for an explanation.
  • I received my 8 cyl. Exhaust manifold from England. I’ll take photos and post them tomorrow.
  • Here are the photos of the 8cyl. Manifold from the UK that allows you use a dual carb. Manifold.
    I have to drill mounting holes and use studs and nuts.
  • bent metal

Yeah, that's it!  Whoever cast that exhaust manifold did a great job too! 

• BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    What did that little beauty cost you with shipping?
  • It was 350 lbs. UK.  I made a mistake on paypal and had to do it  over a week later so I sent 375 lbs. UK.  Paypal does the conversion. Cost was $513.00 us With shipping ups.
  • bent metal
    Ok, I'm ready to see something new on this thread.  Anyone?  Anyone?  Don't make me make something, just to keep this thread going.  :):D
  • [url=https://postimg.cc/qtWYLSv3][img]https://i.postimg.cc/qtWYLSv3/IMG-0332-1.jpg[/img][/url] I'm in the process of making an intake manifold with a Hudson side draft carb. I will be using it on my '29 coupe. 

• There's the photo. The link didn't work.
  • terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    54coupe said:
    There's the photo. The link didn't work.
    Are you going to include a plenum with your design?
  • 54coupe said:
    There's the photo. The link didn't work.
    Are you going to include a plenum with your design?
    No, I'm not. There wasn't one in the original updraft setup, and there is only one intake port... If it doesn't work well, I can make another one. Off the top of my head, I don't see what the advantage would be, but I'm willing to learn.
  • 54coupe
    54coupe Member
    edited October 2022

Here are two (of four) intake manifolds made by Linville. The top one is for Hudson splasher sixes, the bottom one, for 48-56 big six blocks. I would love to find information about the manufacturer. 
      These are not mine. I’m just trying to help the owner with research. His third intake is the same as the stepdown one in the photo, except that the carb mounting pads are on top. The fourth intake is Hudson eight. 
      The carb mounting pads are a 2” bore (50mm).
  • bent metal
    I've never seen that name "Linville" before!  The castings look like they are high quality too.
  • Like the look of dual outlets
  • I think we need some sound with that.☝