Voltage regulator

hudsonsplasher1
hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
For all the electrical experts. Installed a new voltage regulator on my 49 Commodore 8, seems to be working except the amp light stays on. Any suggestions to correct the problem?
Thanks in advance,
Gene.

Comments

• If the light stays on only during idle it is fine - this is not unusual for electrical systems with a generator. Below 600 RPM idle, my AMP light stays on.

There is a procedure to polarize the generator in the service manual. If the generator hasn't been used to charge in a while or been replaced it might not be charging due a need for this procedure which means the warning light is correct.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    When you say "seems to be working"  I would have assumed that if the amp light is staying on that it is not working.   What output voltage do you have at the "A" terminal?
  • hudsonsplasher1
    Is there such a thing at polarizing the voltage regulator? If so, how is it done. It was brought up in conversation with other old car owners. I'm not familiar with this.
  • hudsonsplasher1
    Geoff said:
    When you say "seems to be working"  I would have assumed that if the amp light is staying on that it is not working.   What output voltage do you have at the "A" terminal?
    I'm going to check to see what output I have. I know it's generating, but don't know how much.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    No, the regulator is polarity neutral, but the generator must be polarised correctly.  do so by momentarily  connecting the B and A terminal of the regulator.   
  • hudsonsplasher1
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the info.