Top 5 Fastest Hudson’s?

BigSky
BigSky Senior Contributor
As I was talking with a friend about his Bonneville records in a 27 Dodge & it got me thinking about what Hudson’s might be the fastest cars made?   0 to 60 times & top speed would be interesting to know.  I remember reading about a Hudson around 30-32 that was under 7 second 0-60 car, but I’m not 100% on that.  

Comments

• BigSky
    From Hemmings:
    “Mechanix Illustrated tested a Twin H-Powered Hornet in 1952 and recorded a 0-60 mph time of 12.1 seconds and a top speed of 107 mph”
  • BigSky
    From allpar.com:
    The 1938 Hudson Eight did 0-60 in 15.0 secs

“The 1933 Essex Terraplane Eight was the car that really made Hudson company’s performance image.  It was the original factory hot-rod sedan with 0-60 mph in 14.4 secs, top speed 85 mph.”
  • BigSky
    From WikiVisual.com:  
    “Two special (1935 Railton 8) lightweight models were made in 1935 and, with a 0–60 time of 8.8 seconds, were claimed to be the fastest production cars in the world.”

• BigSky
    My friends Bonneville Record Holding Car:

• BigSky said:
    My friends Bonneville Record Holding Car:

Hmmmmm. That doesn't look like a Hudson.
  • BigSky
    Haha hahaha, nope I believe it’s a 27 Dodge but then I’m not sure it looks like that either!  
    I believe their National record in 2016 was 147 mph.   Crazy fast for that original 4 cylinder, which is well massaged!
  • tombia
    tombia Member
    1928 Dodge fast four.
  • BigSky
    edited June 2019
    Correction:
    1928 Dodge Brothers Victory Six Roadster
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    I knew of these guys when I lived in Seattle.  I contacted them and asked if they would be interested in bringing a Hudson powered Bonneville car, they brought the Hudson powered (308) streamliner to a car show.  It really drew a crowd even when it wasn't running.   http://hudsonboys.com  
  • terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    The 1934 Railton Light Sports Tourer lapped Brooklands at around 115mph a number of times pre-war. The axle ratio would have been either 3.3 or 3.5.

The 1937 Hudson Eight sedan averaged almost 89mph at Bonneville back in the day for the 24 hour run. I suspect it may have had a taller axle ratio, ie taller than the standard 4.1. That's a fantastic result. The Hudson Six was only just behind it too in terms of average speed by a couple of miles per hour showing how good the 212 was. Considering it was 15% or so less displacement.
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    edited June 2019
    122.683 on the Bonneville Salt Flats 1980......
  • dave11
    dave11 Expert Adviser
    That is a 4 cyl Plymouth block. I am working on one as we speak,...mine will not likely be powering a Bonneville contender, but I hope to up the output a bit from it's original 56 horsepower.

Dave
  • The Hudson Boys, out of Seattle, (I think) have a Hornet powered streamliner. It set a record for a supercharged flathead streamliner less than 325 cubic inches at over 250 MPH. The record was set in 2002, and as of last year,still stands.