Question on a 1930 Hudson Super 8

LauraB
LauraB Member
Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a 1930 Super 8 that I'm told is a rare model. The story is that Hudson used the name Super 8 and was sued by the Cord company, who had the patent on the name. The Super 8's that were produced were largely sold to either New Zealand or Canada. Has anyone ever heard this story and how rare are the '30 Super 8's?

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited June 2019
    I've never heard of a 1930 Hudson Super Eight.
    Upon introducing their eight in 1930, Hudson called it the Great Eight, and in 1931 called their eight the "Greater Eight". 
    After World War II Hudson offered the Super Six and the Super Eight (as well as the more expensive Commodore models).
    I never heard of the Cord "Super Eight". 
    Packard made a "Super Eight" but that was in the late 1930's I think.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Probably an urban myth.
  • I have a pair of headlights that say SUPER 8 on the Hudson triangle emblem at the top.  I’ve been told that the early 1930 headlights say this. Later 1930 Headlights have the emblem, but do not say Super 8. ?
  • Packard threatened to sue them. Very few left the factory badged “ Super 8” 
    there is one close to where I live. The owner thinks it’s worth a fortune because of it. It’s not. Compared to the Super 6 it’s s very very inferior car. 
  • LauraB
    LauraB Member
    Interesting - it seems like the sis one of these cars. I love cars with a story. Thanks so much. I wasn't able to find anything related to the threatened lawsuit so this was helpful

• Spencer Yarrow
    Spencer Yarrow Expert Adviser
    This is our 30 Super 8 Brougham believed to be built in February 30. The two hand books are January and April so the early ones may have been Super 8s