1949 hudson 2d coupe rear end HELP

Well guys I have a 49 and unfortunately the rear end has sheared some teeth on the gears. Can anyone help me out on where to looks for parts or information on what I could do to replace the 3rd member. Thanks guys I appreciate your help. 

Comments

• Are you in the HET Club? If so, there are several people we could refer you to that might have the parts.
  • Lance
    Lance Member
    What is your ratio?     Hudson rear ends on stepdowns were made by Hudson from 1948-51. They are not interchangeable with other gears from other rear ends-only Hudson. 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    You might take this opportunity to go to a better ratio for highway travel, if your present rearend ratio is unfavorable.  I believe the automatic transmission-equipped Hudsons had higher speed rearend gears.  Then, too, I believe that the post-1952 rear axles were made by Dana and the gears were interchangeable with a number of makes (unlike the gears in pre-1952 Hudsons, which were manufactured by Hudson).  That means they are more plentiful and are available in a range of ratios.
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    There should be rear 3rd members available for your housing since many have upgraded to '52 & UP Dana rears.
  • I have a 51 Hornet with OD, and 4.56 gears...sure would be nice to knock that down to 4.10 or even 3.78. does anyone reading this thread have good used gears they don't need?

• Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    If I were going to the effort to change gears in a Hudson built rear, I would just change the whole rear out to a dana 44. Better yet, change out to a later model rear with flanged/stronger axles. 
  • Lance
    Lance Member
    squirrel said:
    I have a 51 Hornet with OD, and 4.56 gears...sure would be nice to knock that down to 4.10 or even 3.78. does anyone reading this thread have good used gears they don't need?

If you want a 4.10 hogshead let me know. I have one for a Hudson built rearend.

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    If you do get a better rearend ratio, don't forget you'll also need to find some matching speedometer gears.
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Jon B said:
    If you do get a better rearend ratio, don't forget you'll also need to find some matching speedometer gears.
    Good luck with that....
  • The odometer reads about 8% fast right now, so it will actually get closer to correct if I change to 4.10 gears. And if I care to get it closer, I think I have enough SW ratio adapter box parts left to make a box to fix it, but I doubt I'd go that far on this car.

• Are you in the HET Club? If so, there are several people we could refer you to that might have the parts.
    I am not a het club member yet but will be. This car is new to me so I’m just diving into the Hudson world. Any info I can get I would appreciate. I will finally get around to pulling the 3rd member out tomorrow and gather the final verdict in the damage.