Head gasket a little bit tighter?

railknight
railknight Expert Adviser
The head gasket on my '53 Super Wasp has developed a very minor leak towards the front of the 262 engine.  There are a few drip marks that have dribbled on the side of the engine block.  It's nothing too much and with over 1200 miles on the rebuilt engine, the lose of coolant probably amounts to 4 to 8 ounces (a cup) at best.  I am thinking of either replacing the head gasket with a NOS one or perhaps doing the K&W Block Sealer treatment (either seems to take about the same amount of time).  There's one other route I could try and that's to tighten the head down a bit more.  I've torqued the head gasket to 70 lbs. cold (from 65 lbs.).  Is it worth tightening the gasket, say up to 75 lbs. or more to try to prevent any more leaking?  Thanks for any advice here!

Comments

• Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor

Boy, I'd use some stop-leak before I'd tighten them any more.  You snap one of those bolts off you've got a nasty problem. 

Maybe replace the gasket with a new one.  Don't use a NOS.  They get hard and brittle over time and may not seal.  Paint both sides with Aluminum rattle can and make sure to follow the recommended tightening sequence.  Re-tighten after the first run when it's cooled off.

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Is this cast iron  or alloy head?   Cast iron heads have to be tightened when  thoroughly hot.   Alloy must be done cold.
  • railknight
    edited June 2019
    Cast iron and I initially tightened the head (after about 400 miles of driving) when it was hot.  No one manufactures the wide block 232/262 head gasket anymore which forces those of us with this engine to use a NOS one.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Have you checked with Dale Cooper?
  • railknight
    edited June 2019
    Yes, I just purchased a NOS Felpro wide block 262 head gasket from Dale last week.  
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    Since its so minor and if not running hot, I would just retorque the head hot again, but Not over 70 lbs and make sure using only a 7 lb radiator cap
  • railknight
    Just retorqued it hot on Monday at 70 lbs.  The seeping, when it does, occurs when the engine is cold.  I'm almost certain I have a seven pound cap, but I'll check it again.   
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Try a stop-leak compound in the radiator