first start up

duncan
duncan Expert Adviser
I started our 54 Hornet Hollywood up for the first time since last October.I turned on the electric fuel pump and looked at carbs to see if they were over flowing no over flow. Pumped gas 4 times and turned the key.I was dis appointed that it took about 3 engine turns before it started. Just kidding that was pretty awesome to start that quick after the winter nap for the car.  Ray from the great white north

Comments

• RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited May 2019
    I always use premium starting fluid on the air filters after a long car nap. Will potentially save turning starter a long time. Also use battery minders on everything. And of course the elec fuel pump. Also, Stabil continously since I don't drive the old cars that much. 

• DavidC
    DavidC Senior Contributor
    If you don't feel like installing electric fuel pump for the simple purpose of priming the carbs, you could always install an outboard motor priming bulb between hard fuel line and carbs under hood.  A few pumps after car's been sitting and away you go.
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    I havw an electric fuel pump. Just a little fun joke. The hudson runs great hard to figure out what to do when starting the engine.  Ray