Installing Door window glass, 53 Hudson Hornet

fliptop
fliptop Member
Any tips on the installation of glass in front and rear doors.  I tried a dry run with a old cracked window to find the best method to install. I got the window in but it was not so easy. Since many of you have already been through this I assume you may be able to give me some direction.

o Position of regulator during install ?
o Tilt of glass during install ?
o Trim removal ?
o Glass channel source ?
o Sound damping material ?
o glass positing tool during install ?

Any help is always appreciated.

JC

Comments

• Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

I followed the manual when I did mine and it was fairly easy.  Down load the manual from the website.

Jay

• VicTor Z
    VicTor Z Senior Contributor
    Glass channel source ?  I have the window channeling, beltlines and division bars. thez@verizon.net 
  • fliptop
    fliptop Member
    Jay what manual was this in?
  • fliptop
    fliptop Member
    Victor, thanks for the info
  • fliptop
    fliptop Member
    The channel that I am looking for is the one that the glass is installed into. Need all four since mine are rusted through.
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

Years ago the club sold a reprint of the Hudson body manual for the stepdowns.  It was there.  But I can't seem to find it on the web site.  It was included in a set of 3 I believe.

Jay

• fliptop
    fliptop Member
    Thanks Glowplug

JC
  • fliptop
    fliptop Member
    Still looking for Front/Rear Door Window Regulator Glass Channels

JC
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Try my website https://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/  Start with Lance Walker and Roger Tallent
  • bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    fliptop, it sounds like VicTor Z has everything you need, right?  Or are you talking about you want that double sided fabric tape stuff that fits into the window regulator that holds the glass?
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    fliptop said:
    The channel that I am looking for is the one that the glass is installed into. Need all four since mine are rusted through.
    if I am reading this correctly, the METAL CHANNEL which holds each piece of glass and acts as the interface to the raising and lowering parts are RUSTED to the point of not being useable... there fore I believe that this part would be available from a parts car or used HUDSON  part dealer?
  • bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    Ok, I get it.  I would think that would be available from a Ford restoration supply in lengths that you could trim to fit your application.  Just a "U" shaped piece that you could weld onto your window regulator slides.  Then, you add the fabric tape.  Glass should never touch metal. 
  • VicTor Z
    VicTor Z Senior Contributor
    Fliptop, I have Window setting Channeling, 24" $10.00 ea. , 32" $13.00 ea. If the brackets are not rusted you can remove and replace on the "Window setting Channel" 
  • fliptop
    fliptop Member
    Victor, thanks for the tip.  
  • How do I get the old glass out of the window setting channel?  It's in there very tight, after 66 years!  Any tips?
  • The instructions from the Hudson body manual were very poor.  The screw "A" they refer to was not there, and the screws "B" were not where shown in my 1954 Hornet.  It does not tell me how to repair the vent window (crank type) either.  When I took out the part that screw "A" was supposed to hold, the gear and other parts from the crank fell into the door.  
  • This will be helpful I need to do the same to my 53 Hornet. Thanks.