Skirts and visors

When I first starting bringing things to Hudson meets I noticed something I thought was strange.  I brought out some visors.  The next time I went to a meet, someone would come by and say, "Oh yeah, you are the visor guy."  So I thought, I better bring out something different.  I decided to bring out skirts.  The following meet a fellow comes by, I ask if he wants to see my photo book.  He says, "Don't need to.  I know all about it.  You are the fender skirt guy."  Me, being a little slow to catch on, I decided to bring out floor pans the next time.  You guessed it, someone came by and mentioned me being the "whatever guy" from whatever I brought the last time.  When I got home, my wife and I got to talking about this.  At the time we were also trying to make a half interesting ad for the up coming National book.  I told her, "I don't know how to get it across to people that I can make just about anything?  She says, "You need to promote whatever you want to make."  But I don't want to make the same thing over and over.  Ideally, I'd like to make something different every time.", I replied.  She says, "What do you want to make, what do people want?  Or need?".  "All different kinds of things." I said.  At this point she has been sitting in front of the computer for an hour waiting for me to tell her what to type in this National ad.  Out of frustration she says, "WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO WRITE!".  Out of my own frustration I replied, "IF I CAN'T MAKE IT, YOU DON'T NEED IT!" …. She says, "That's perfect!  That's you in a nut shell."  We both laughed.  Then one of us said, that could be the logo for the shop.  We laughed again!  :)  Hopefully, most people will see the humor intended in the logo.  If not, that will probably make it even funnier for me.  :)  Ok, so here are some skirts and visors, and yes, I can make more than just skirts and visors. 

Comments

• bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    1939 skirts.  If I can find a car near by, I will do a test fit before I send the skirts off to where they need to go.
  • bent metal
    1936 Terraplane skirts.
  • bent metal
    The original style skirts have more shape.  The ones pictured here are '34-5.  Other years the handles both pointed to the rear of the car and had different shapes.
  • bent metal
    Some fun ones.  '42-7 with the low wheel opening.  1937 custom louvers, different spacing on the louvers, some straight, some leaning.
  • bent metal
    Here are some 1936 Hudson "original style" skirts.  The skirts that I called some fun ones, are of an aftermarket type design.  The original style are more complex, more shape, more bracketry, more work to make.  I supply the rubber, via Wildrick, and I get the felts with rivets on my own, throw in a few extra, just in case.  Then I draw up a little instruction for the customer to understand what all of this stuff is, when they open up the box.  I recommend the felts be scotch guarded, so they become more of a pad, less of a sponge.  This is a detail, as original.
  • bent metal
    1934-5.
  • bent metal
    All of the original skirts are English wheeled to get the shape.  When seen with a straight edge, they might have more shape than you think.  I wheel up the shape, then wheel the centers flat again where the emblem goes.  Different edge detail on '36 than '34-5 too.  Notice the '36 skirts have the handles both pointing to the rear, unlike '34-5, which are both to the right as you stand in front of them.
  • bent metal
    All of the bracketry and the skirt itself is hand made from flat stock, hand cut and filed smooth, shaped, welded, etc..  I go and get the felt, cut it myself.  No CNC or water jet anything.  I drill, tap, weld, cut, whatever it takes, by hand. 
  • Forum needs a like button.
    Saved the thread in my Morrie folder as I plan to make up skirts for it and im always interested in seeing attachment methods.
  • jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    HEY PERRY!.
    Those are awesome!
    Do you have a set for a  36T in stock???
    Thanks.
    Jeff
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    Forum needs a like button.
    Saved the thread in my Morrie folder as I plan to make up skirts for it and im always interested in seeing attachment methods.
    Working on it ; totally agree - anything that Perry puts in gets a massive thumbs up from me!
  • bent metal
    Thanks!  Glad you guys like the pictures.  Most of the work I do is early Ford hot rods.  But I like the Hudson stuff for something different.  I will post all of the Hudson work I can find, since there is some interest.  Thank you gentlemen! 
  • bent metal
    jjbubaboy,  I don't really keep anything in stock.  To make a set of those, I need to have a week or so to get everything together.  I'll keep you in mind if I do another run of the skirts.  But I have no plans to make any in the near future.  I need more time to forget how much time they really take to make. :)
  • jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    Thank you Perry! I totally understand. Yes,please keep me in mind!
    Jeff
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    For the longest time I thought you were the "Boat Tail Guy" then I saw the fenders you were posting so I changed it to "The Fender Guy."  I love your new mission statement "If I cannot make it, you do not need it!" so, now I guess you are that Guy.  By the way, a local business (War Surplus) has always had the logo:  "If we don't have it.  You don't need it." Been a great comment I have well ingrained in my mind.....
  • 33kc1989
    33kc1989 Senior Contributor
    Amazing craftsmanship.  
  • Richie
    Richie Senior Contributor
    All I can say is "WOW" bent metal, beautiful.
  • That is some beautiful work. At this time, I can only wish to have a set of skirts for my 47' Hudson.

• The '39 that you used for test fitting the skirts at the beginning of this post looks familiar.... Was it in that Mel Gibson movie, "Forever Young"? I think George Wendt's character drove it?