Newbie Introduction

Greetings from Canada, my name is Gord and I am excited to bring my 53 Hudson Hornet back to life however I do have one problem, I am not an experienced mechanic and with this forum I hope to rely on all you experts to solve my problems and give some good advice on what to do. My next post will be asking how to remove my rear axles, oil seals and bearings… Look forward in being a part of the HET Forum

Cheers,

Gord  

Comments

• Welcome Gord, I'm working on a '53 and have all the mechanical procedures, parts, and crash parts manuals. Send me your address and I can copy the Index of Service Operations and send to you, there is a supplement for '53-'54 but nothing added for axle repairs. There are lots of guys here that have helped me out over the last three years, never had a question unanswered, trying to sort all the parts I ended up with, I have a lot of parts left and have sent parts all over the globe to a lot of nice people so you will find this is a great club. Post some pics, looks like a nice ride. If you want, you can send me a private message with your address. Dan.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Welcome!  I'm sure you'll find a lot of good advice here.  I don't know what part of Canada you're from, but the Hudson-Essex-Terraplane Club has two chapters in Canada, and there are a good number of Canadian members as well.  So you may be able to locate a real, live, human being-type Hudson owner in your area who could give you help.

Let me first ask you -- is your purpose simply to lubricate the rear wheel bearings and install new oil seals?  Or are you having problems with your axles?

• Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    edited April 2019
    Gord, there probably are some Hudson club members not far from you. Spend a few bucks and join the HET club then get a club roster. It will show most of the club members and their contact info. Members can also locate other members on the official club website, I prefer the roster.
    Show us some pictures of you 53!
    Welcome !!
    Kerry
  • Thanks Guys, greatly appreciate the welcome. I have never joined a forum before so I am hoping my posts are correct.

I am taking your advise and joining the HET club. I  have been relying on you-tube for tech stuff however I noticed there isn't much on 53 Hudson's. 

Dan, thanks for your offer, I will send you the info on private message, be patient as I am not sure how to do that yet...  :)

• Jon B said:
    Welcome!  I'm sure you'll find a lot of good advice here.  I don't know what part of Canada you're from, but the Hudson-Essex-Terraplane Club has two chapters in Canada, and there are a good number of Canadian members as well.  So you may be able to locate a real, live, human being-type Hudson owner in your area who could give you help.

Let me first ask you -- is your purpose simply to lubricate the rear wheel bearings and install new oil seals?  Or are you having problems with your axles?

Hi Jon, thanks for the welcome... I am on the West Coast, just east of Vancouver.

The purpose is to install new bearings and oil seals... the pic above is where I am at, my manual says just us a puller to pull the axles out, my question is are the axles attached in the differential with a clip or connector? Manual page 11-20 rear axle 52 models item 10 it says... remove axle shaft using axle shaft puller J-352... nothing about and clips in the drive pinion (apologize if I am using the wrong terms), or is it just that simple..

Thanks, Gord

• :) New Home

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    You just need a slide hammer with a coupling that fits your axle thread, in order to pull that axle shaft.   

• Gord your car is beautiful, looks real straight. To send a pm, just click on my heading and it will take you to a screen about me click on Message on that screen.