Stepdown Clutch condition requirements?

I have been working on a 51 pacemaker that has been in storage for maybe 30 years or so. 

My question is how perfect does the pressure plate and flywheel have to be as far as smoothness goes.

When I got the clutch all apart and cleaned up, the flywheel and pressure plate had very slight imperfections where the corks had been pushing for all of those years.  If you drag your fingernail across some of the imperfections you can just slightly feel it with your fingernail. My hunch is that this should be ok but maybe I'm dead wrong.  Does anyone have first hand experience with this?  If I spend around $275 for a reconditioned pressure plate from Doug Wildrick will it have a resurfaced glass smooth face?  I don't think Doug offers reconditioned flywheels so I guess that means you would have to have it resurfaced locally if it has to be done? I already purchased the reconditioned clutch plate from Doug and it looks really good.
Also how perfect does the throwout bearing have to be and how can you tell if it needs replacing?
Any and all input would be appreciated
Thanks
Rob 

Comments

• When you have it apart, I wouldn't fail to put a new throwout bearing in. Do you want to pull the transmission out again in two months? I think Doug could resurface your flywheel for you as well. I want to have all parts as good and new as possible once it has come apart.
  • Also, you've got to check the bellhousing. The bushings where the clutch cross shaft goes wear out, causing slop and lost motion in the pedal linkage. These should also be fixed while everything is apart.
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Rob,

Do it once, and do it right.  Call Cole at Wildrick's, he will be able to answer your question about resurfacing your flywheel, it requires a special mirror-like finish for the cork clutch.  I mailed a flywheel to him a few years ago and can't remember the cost.    Go with what Mike Sheridan recommends.

John Forkner
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    There are taper pins in the system that need to have no slop in them, one in each of the 'ears', two in the clutch throwout fingers.