1933 Terraplane Eight rear fenders

Most of you have seen these pics, I'm sure.  But I think it would be good if they were archived here.  Some one will come by that hasn't seen them. :)  These were for Ivan's '33 T8 convertible.  The rear fenders were there, good enough for patterns.  They had been repaired many times, filed thin in a lot of places, and just beat to hell, then covered over with lead.  Once you decide you are replacing a lot more than you are keeping, it's time to make new ones.  First thing, straighten up the old fenders to give you accurate patterns.  Make a buck.  This one is reversible, so I can use it for both sides.  Thus the fenders should be identical.

Comments

• bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    From here, the metal is made.  Several pieces, individually made and welded together.
  • bent metal
    It was at this time I moved from my one and a half car garage to a real shop.  So the right rear was made at the new shop, which actually had lighting!!!  Reversing the buck, and a look at the right side fender. 
  • bent metal
    Then make the right side pieces.
  • bent metal
    Pics are all out of order, but you understand.  Ok, once the fender is made and shaped and welded.  Then it needs the edge detail.  In this case, a wired edge with goggle outlining the bottom and fender opening.  Doublers in the front and a brace running to the skirted part of the fender (behind the wheel).  Plus fitting the tail lights.  The edge detail continues into the rubber on the running board mat detail.  Yes, I did flange the fender with a crescent wrench.  Wired the edge by hand.  P
  • They just about all are that way. Split at the 12 oclock  position. They are a relatively delicate fender with a big fat butt hanging off the back, which is why they all got cracked up.
  • 33kc1989
    33kc1989 Senior Contributor
    Very impressive.   
  • jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    WOW, even the 'buck' is a piece of art!
    Jeff
  • bent metal
    Welding pot metal pieces.

• bent metal
    Mounted on the fenders.                                                   
  • tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    A work of art, no question . Well done!

regards, Tom
  • terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    This looks like magic to me, just amazing what is possible! Even making the buck is an achievement in itself.
  • I've never seen, or heard of,  anyone make a reversible buck before.
  • I'm very impressed.  A true craftsman at work.