1931 Essex Boat tail

A fender repair for a 1931 Essex Boat tail.  Had to re-stamp the edge detail, some patch work.  Just sorta' straighten it up a bit.  Made a jig to hold them both up and level so they aren't floppin around all over the place.  Also so I can step back and compare them from side to side.  Later, the jig will help in body and paint.  These are the before pictures.  First I took the fender brackets off.

Comments

• bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    The edge detail around the wired edge was smashed in a bunch of places.  Made new dies to fluff it back up again.  Fender was too long to stand up on end and run through the Pullmax.  Had to jack up the machine.  The metal had been worked pretty hard at some time in it's life.  So I had to fix some previous fixes.
  • bent metal
    Once the brackets were fixed, the sheet metal fixed, everything looked the same side to side, both when set outside to outside and inside to inside.  The brackets were riveted back on.  Not a complete restoration.  Just a straightening up across the front really.  The restoration shop will take care of the rest, body work, paint, etc..
  • VicTor Z
    VicTor Z Senior Contributor
    Great work there "Guy", as always. How about pictures of the other projects you have in the shop? VicTor Z
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    Very nice work, I and I am sure others look forward to seeing more of you progress.
  • bent metal
    Thanks gentlemen!  I recently lost a memory chip that had a bunch of work pictures on it.  So I thought it might be nice if my work stuff was also stored on the forum.  I think it also might help someone, sometime, if I showed how to do some of these repairs.  So I'm just posting Hudson stuff.  Most of the work I do is early Ford.  Not appropriate for this forum.  Thank you for the words of encouragement on the posting!  I will continue.  But I'm going to run out, eventually, unless you guys send me more work. ;)
  • rothcarmsncom
    rothcarmsncom Expert Adviser
    Haw just saw this. So cool. Thanks for doing that job for me!  I keep plinking along on the project. hope to be assembled by summer.  Hope you are doing well.