1925 Hudson clutch

A week ago I posted a discussion as I need some information to enable me to assemble a 1925 multi-plate wet clutch fitted to a 1925 Hudson. Below is a copy of this post:
"I am assembling a 1925 Hudson clutch which came to me disassembled. It is a wet clutch with 6 cork lined plates . There are 2 sets of anti-rattle springs. 10 armed springs and 10 flat springs with 2 coils. Given there are six plates there are 5 spaces between these plates. There are 4 posts attached to the cover plate so it would seem that 5 of these springs are fitted over each of these posts. I can see slight wear marks on some of the plates that have been made by the eared springs. However I am not totally confident how these springs should be fitted. I have a 1918 service manual that has a lined drawing of a cross section through a similar clutch, but from this drawing it is not possible to tell how they are fitted. Is there anyone who could confirm how these springs should be fitted."
As yet I still have not received a reply and I am anxious to finish this project. All of my leads here in Western Australia and in America (such as Doug Wildrick from Wildrick Restoration and Aaron Cooper from the  Central Iowa Chapter of the HET Club) have also failed to provide the information I need. If no one on this forum has the information I require maybe some one may be able to suggest somewhere else, there in America, I can try to obtain it.   

Comments

• barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    Hello. Im surprised I didnt see your request a week ago. Pls contact me and I will ring you to discuss. Im in Adelaide SA.   
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    edited March 2019
    @Sandgroper , your original post was under another user name "Oldtimer" and was put into the "Greetings and Introductions" category which is possibly why it wasn't noticed.

Can you confirm which user name you want to keep please and I will remove the other one , using different user names is confusing
  • @Sandgroper , your original post was under another user name "Oldtimer" and was put into the "Greetings and Introductions" category which is possibly why it wasn't noticed.

Can you confirm which user name you want to keep please and I will remove the other one , using different user names is confusing

Hi Paul
    Yes I apologize for this. I have been experiencing considerable difficulty in using this site. As I explained in my initial letter to you I used this user name first with my usual email address but I couldn't get the site to provide me with a confirmation email which is why I tried using another username and email address. When I used the other username Oldtimer I was unable to get access to post in a category other than   "Greetings and Introductions" which is why I chose to try and use this username to have access to the "Hudson" catagory. Interestingly when I logged in as Sandgroper I was unable to see the  "Greetings and Introductions"  category at all and even when I view "Alll Catagories" my Oldtimer posts are not visible. Thank you again for your assistance in this matter and I am happy to use just this username.
  • Hello. Im surprised I didnt see your request a week ago. Pls contact me and I will ring you to discuss. Im in Adelaide SA.   

Hi Barry, my reply post to Paul will explain why you did not see my earlier post. Thank you I will phone you today. Tim
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    @Sandgroper , your original post was under another user name "Oldtimer" and was put into the "Greetings and Introductions" category which is possibly why it wasn't noticed.

Hi Paul
    Yes I apologize for this. I have been experiencing considerable difficulty in using this site. As I explained in my initial letter to you I used this user name first with my usual email address but I couldn't get the site to provide me with a confirmation email which is why I tried using another username and email address. When I used the other username Oldtimer I was unable to get access to post in a category other than   "Greetings and Introductions" which is why I chose to try and use this username to have access to the "Hudson" catagory. Interestingly when I logged in as Sandgroper I was unable to see the  "Greetings and Introductions"  category at all and even when I view "Alll Catagories" my Oldtimer posts are not visible. Thank you again for your assistance in this matter and I am happy to use just this username.
    Thanks Tim,

You'll be pleasaed to know I've fixed the email issue now :)

I'll remove the Oldtimer username
  • For those who are interested in this topic Barry was able to supply me with the information I required. The two types of anti-rattle springs are fitted with one spring between each clutch plate, with the smaller springs fitted to two cover posts opposite each other and the eared springs on the other two posts, again opposite each other. The eared springs are also fitted with one end of the spring on one clutch plate and the other end of the spring on the next clutch plate. For those who have this 1925 Super six engine Barry was also able to provide important information about the camshaft thrust washer (that will be missing if it hasn't already been replaced) and the cooling jacket baffles that need to be fitted in the top of the block to prevent the valve area from overheating. These baffles were fitted when new but because they were only mild steel they will have now disappeared unless they have already been replaced. In my 1925 Hudson both of these items were missing (despite the engine having been rebuilt at some stage. Thank you again Barry for your invaluable information.