Gas tank leaks when I fill her up

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
I replaced the gasket around the sending unit with one I made from cork gasket material.  I guess I will probably have to make another.  Is there an additional sealant that is suitable to fix this problem?

Comments

• Check your pickup tube at the tank. They can brake loose from the bracket, and they have a gasket also.
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    Jason,  use this product from Permatex with the cork/rubber gasket.   It was recommended to me by Tanks Inc & users on the H.A.M.B...

It does not harden but cures to very tacky level.  Which allows it be taken apart & reassembled without ill effects, which I have done.  It doesn’t take a lot of the product & it will ooze out as you tighten things down.  Put a very thin amount on each side of all the mounting surfaces but keep an eye on how much oozes out as you tighten things down.  If too much comes out on top, then most likely too much came out inside the tank & you’ll want to dismantle it to make sure you get any thing from inside the tank because you don’t want it dripping into the tank & clogging a pickup tube, etc.  

I used this on my 37’s tank with an 1/8” thick cork rubber gasket for the sending unit, pickup tube & neck, it’s s custom tank so the neck is attached to the tank.  You can see the bright blue product in these photos. 

• JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Thanks fella's.  I will go get some of this as soon as I run some of the gas out of the tank.  
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Not to take any thing away from these suggestions , I would also offer several of my friends with Stepdowns have experienced rust out in the TOP of the tank.  Water condensation from the tank will promote rust out in the top of the tank.
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Ken, do you repair pickup tubes only or do you sell any of those that you have already repaired?
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Who is selling the tanks?
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    I think I have a spare tube I can send you as a core.  I have to check to see what kind of shape it is in.  All it's doing in NC is raining a lot so I will have an answer in the morning.  
  • Hey Ken, who sells these repro tanks and how much do they cost?
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Ken, I couldn't find the spare pick up tube mainly because my garage is too junky for me to find anything.  I may have thrown it away since the metal tube had rusted real bad at the bottom, but I doubt it as I'm too much of a hoarder.  I'll probably find it six months from now when I'm looking for something else.  I drive 65 miles to Lance's place seems like every other month.  I think we're getting tired of seeing each other.  (Lance, if you're reading this, I may be down to see you soon about a breather for that manifold).  
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Well the folks at sales@moparpro.com
    Responded to my request for hudson fuel tank availability and price ...”800 each right now we have only produced a few.”