Distributor vibration

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
Would the oil pump gear wearing out cause noticeable vibration of the distributor? Or should I look for another reason? The vibration has gotten to the point that the distributor cap won't stay on.

Comments

• Jason check for the O shaped cork gasket .
  • I’ve had two instances with distributors. One time a vacuum advance was bad and gas would get into the distributor and when the points sparked it would blow off the cap. New advance took care of it. Some older caps have a hole drilled in the side to prevent this. The other issue was when I installed an electronic distributor that came with my straight 8 pickup. When I installed it and started it up it was knocking. I pulled it out and found the shaft was protruding below the gear and the rod dippers or crank shaft was hitting the distributor shaft. After machining off the extra no more knock.
  • hudsonsplasher1
    hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
    I've seen a warn timing gear cause the oil pump and the distributor to vibrate. Fine at idle but noisy at road speed.
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Lance said:

Jason check for the O shaped cork gasket .

Check it for what? Whether it's torn, missing, etc?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Is the shaft straight?
  • JasonNC said:

Lance said:

Jason check for the O shaped cork gasket .

Check it for what? Whether it's torn, missing, etc? Well try the simple stuff first. See if it has crumbled apart. It get brittle and may have fallen apart. It's on the base of the distributor housing against the hole in the block where the shaft goes into the engine.
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    That cork gasket that you gave me seems to be doing the trick. So far so good, but the car is still on blocks. We'll see how it works when I finally put her back on the road.